Fuel prices and expenses...

Bilbob

Now like many who use their car for work purposes (not driving to/from, but FOR work) I get paid expenses for doing so, at level set (AIUI) by the govt/tax office.

These limits have been the same for a long time (years) but in that time, fuel has literally doubled in price, yet the expense rates have stayed the same.

How long till pressure starts to mount to have these rates changed or reviewed?

chrisw

It was mentioned in the budget this year... purely to say that it wouldn't be changing!

I do a lot of business miles, and 40p a mile does not nearly cover the cost of my car per mile. It was at 40p/mile when I started my first 'proper' job almost 10 years ago, and fuel was about 65p a litre.

My jaw drops further and further each time I fill up.. £60, £70, £80... no idea when it will stop, but I'm gonna start investing in oil to offset the cost!

Maybe a petition is in order?

Bilbob

I agree, I remember when 45 quid in diesel would easily fill my mondeo, now it barely gets to 3/4 full... yet according to the tax man, it costs the same to run it, yet fuel ahs gone up, wages at the garage have gone up, the MOT has gone up, car tax has risen... insurance, the list goes on, not a single cost involved in running a car has gone down, yet they insist that expenses remain the same...

Ian J

Banned
I imagine the rates will be reviewed a week or two before Prudence calls a General Election

AMCross

most companies pay 40p a mile for the first 10,000 miles and then 25p a mile for the remainder of the year

is that still the case in most peoples minds

my old company paid 25p all the time :mad:

Bilbob

40 then 23... for essential users up to 10k, or 4k for occasional users at mine

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
40p and 25 are the government set rates, so if a company pays you less you can claim the rest against tax, (if they pay more than 40p for first 10k and 25p after that you have to pay tax on the differrence)

AMCross

but the original poster is correct the rates do need changing as they are so out of date

A bit like the government:rotfl:

Ian J

Banned
Its 30p all the time at mine. It used to be 20p before we merged with another company.

I wouldn't use my car if that was what was being offered unless I did a fairly high business mileage and drove an old banger as I would end up subsidizing my employer.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom