FUEL: Play & Help Thread

Magus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Received this from Shopto yesterday & played 2 hours overall whilst switching over to analyse the freaky deakies that are populating the Big Brother house this year.

This game is about the map & terrain & yep its huge & vast. Broken down into sectors which include career races, challenges, liveries to find, Fuel barrels to discover & vista (scenic) points to admire/collect. There are heliports around each sector which you can choose to be dropped at to get to a part of the sector without having to spend 10mins driving there & the GPS system works well when you mark a spot you would like to get to. Once within an area of a sector, driving about will uncover the challenges/liveries/vista points. Doing the career successfully unlock other camps which are located in another sector. Winning gives you FUEL which can then be used to purchase new vehicles.

The initial races seemed very uneventful, some what bland. I felt the rumble had not been used properly, so for example you would go over a part of the track made from planks of wood and although the tire sounds would rumble over the surface the controller wouldn't. The handling is not as good as Motorstorm and initially playing 3rd person, sense of speed is seriously lacking. You are constantly wishing that there was a boost button to drive you faster. The sense of speed was enhanced by going into 1st person view BUT I am hoping the vehicles you buy will be faster.

Furthermore, I found the menu system a little unintuitive and clunky & the fact that every time you had to load the game when you decided to restart a race is something I hate in all racing games & seeing it did a 2.5GB install initially, you would not have expected it.

Driving around in free-mode will unveil the worst transition from day to night & vice-versa in any game you have seen. Also, in one race where there was lots of track object the frame rate slowed down to slugs pace.

So after all that, from the first 40mins of playing I thought to myself this game is worth a tenner! Seeing I paid over thirty quid I persisted & started to get into the challenges & went for 3rd person to 1st making it slightly harder initially. By about 80mins I thought, no good value at £15 and by 90mins after doing this one challenge I thought £20.

Basically, it gets better & am hoping better as it goes on. You adapt to the handling and accept it's no motorstorm and more like midnight club without the nitrous & instead of a city, a country. The challenges so far seem better than the career races & consist of checkpoint racing, getting from A-B in X time & helipcopter chases, as well as races and elimination races. I wanted to carry on after 2 hours as it became more-ish & whilst travelling to a vista point I entered a lake where the system then crashed. I took it as a sign to go to bed but did feel I wanted to play more of it.

I have no opinions of online at the moment as I didn't venture there. If that works as it should with smooth races & the 1 Player game continues to improve then there is certainly potential there. Too early to call, but after my initial disappointment I was glad I persisted.

Last edited:
Good to hear mate.
Wasn't going to get it but had £20 Gamestation voucher so took the plunge and bought it. (£44.99 :eek: :censored: rip off Gamestation)
Will give it a go when I get home and report back.

Is anybody experiencing sound drop out while playing?
My setup is optical to sony amp if that helps?

I haven't noticed no sound drop out, but i did notice some static noise for around 3 minutes then it disappeared .

Must say great game though. :thumbsup:

Just reposting these codes I posted in the preview thread.

Vehicle Warrior : 18041851
Paint flash mudhog : 17121973
Paint moto Sludgeray : 18021974
Character Helmet "Camo" Code : 48992519
Character Jacket "Road Addict" Code : 20061977
Character Trousers "Speed Angel" Code : 91031985

I have only played the game fore a few mins, but it seems pretty good so far. Not to keen on the crash reset. Would be nice to have some sort of crash effect like burnout/motorstorm than the 'Fuel' screen. Jesus the map is BIG!. :eek:

Edit: The day/night cycle. They need to patch that quick in my opinion. It changes far to quick. It would be nice to have an option to alter the time it takes to cycle or even an option to chose the time of day and make that constant.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed no sound drop out, but i did notice some static noise for around 3 minutes then it disappeared .

Must say great game though. :thumbsup:

I've just had the static/crakling noise for a few minutes, and also had one PS3 lock up while in free roam. Hope that doesn't happen too often.

I can't wait to unlock some decent vehicles later on. The starter vehicles are so slow.

Edit: Opps, double post.

Hasn't anyone noticed the cover , the writing is upside down on the side:eek:

Yes i noticed that straight away, and i know it is only a slight thing, but it annoys me, especially when my games are all stacked, and that one looks out of place. Grrrrrrrrrrr:eek:

I never noticed that. :rotfl:

After playing this game, I have never hated tree's so much in all my life, closely followed by water. :D

Has anyone managed to get online yet...I tried twice yesterday & both times got a connection error.

Has anyone managed to get online yet...I tried twice yesterday & both times got a connection error.

hi I played it twice online last night no lags no connection error , came 2nd in both:)

I know a lot has been said about the size of the game world in this game, but i'd just like to say, f*** me it's HUGE.

Just did the Hello, World! Trophy - "In Freeride, go from Offshore Shack Camp to Tsunami Reef Camp without resorting to the chopper." So this basically involves driving from the first base to the base in the 2nd zone. It was 30 miles and it took me 32 minutes. Bear in mind the first two zones occupy around 1/15th of the whole map by my estimations.

Not quite sure the game really needs to be this big...

I know a lot has been said about the size of the game world in this game, but i'd just like to say, f*** me it's HUGE.

Just did the Hello, World! Trophy - "In Freeride, go from Offshore Shack Camp to Tsunami Reef Camp without resorting to the chopper." So this basically involves driving from the first base to the base in the 2nd zone. It was 30 miles and it took me 32 minutes. Bear in mind the first two zones occupy around 1/15th of the whole map by my estimations.

Not quite sure the game really needs to be this big...

Yeah, it is somewhat ridiculous. In those 32 mins how many day and night cycles did you go through? They happen far too quickly and at too much of a steep gradient.

I managed to get online today, & had a checkpoint race with 2 others. It was fun and smooth. Am hoping it will remain that way with more players involved.

Finding this game quite 'moreish'.

Yeah, it is somewhat ridiculous. In those 32 mins how many day and night cycles did you go through? They happen far too quickly and at too much of a steep gradient.

Two, maybe three. Kinda wish there was no cycle at all. Racing at night sucks.

2nd time I have had the PS3 freeze on me playing this game. On both occasions it has happened in the free ride mode whilst travelling towards a Vista point. I hope its the game & not my PS3 slow;y packing up on me & if it is the game I hope they patch it for stability & to sort out the ridiculous day-night time frame. Hmmm...may have to get onto the FUEL forums to see if anyone else is having their systems freeze on them.

EDIT: Nope, consoles freezing doesn't seem to be an issue on the official forums.

Last edited:
2nd time I have had the PS3 freeze on me playing this game. On both occasions it has happened in the free ride mode whilst travelling towards a Vista point.

Had my PS3 freeze on 4 occasions while in free ride travelling to vista/decal point, very annoying :mad:
Apart from that played about 6 hours and really loving this game (considering all the low scores) my only real gripe is the same as everybody else - day/night cycle (far too fast), but saying that scenery is amazing :eek:
Not played any online so can't comment. If anybody's up for some online races add me, (quote AVF in message :smashin:)

I'd love a longer day/night cycle, but then you would have to race longer at night and that would really suck. The night time is just too dark, way too dark.

I have only had the one PS3 freeze so far, fingers crossed.

Had this a couple of days and tbh, I not keen on it at all :(

Day/night cycle is bad as you say, night time is just waaaaaaay too dark making it a chore driving in the dark. The handling feels awful to other off-road racers I've been playing too. The menus are clunky and the actual racing just feels 'dull' and uninvolving?

Tbh, I'm not sure there is one major thing spoiling the game for me, its just that it feels so unfinished in so many little ways that it spoils it completely for me.

I've got not desire to put it back in the PS3 at the mo (not even for the trophies :D ) so its going on ebay :(

Had this a couple of days and tbh, I not keen on it at all :(

Day/night cycle is bad as you say, night time is just waaaaaaay too dark making it a chore driving in the dark. The handling feels awful to other off-road racers I've been playing too. The menus are clunky and the actual racing just feels 'dull' and uninvolving?

Tbh, I'm not sure there is one major thing spoiling the game for me, its just that it feels so unfinished in so many little ways that it spoils it completely for me.

I've got not desire to put it back in the PS3 at the mo (not even for the trophies :D ) so its going on ebay :(

I was initially very disappointed in this game & yes there are lots of aspects of the game that do indeed disappoint (day-night cycles speed and lack of nuances/framerate/lack of sense of speed/system crashes/load times/dodgy sound/no personal music selection) & with all of that I personally would have thought I would be doing the same as you...

...But for some strange reason I have found that I accept all of that & continue to play this game. I find that the objectives can be fun, frustrating, tense, thrilling & mind boggling all in one race/event. I've probably only clocked about 6/8 hours, unlocked 4 sectors, 1 challenge off completing the first sector and a few career races in the 2nd. (Only realised late last night the purpose of the dopper lorries :rolleyes: so should be a little bit faster locating all the challenges, liveries & vista points in the following sectors). It's goal setting lay out of each sector is conductive to the 'just one more' race/search experience. In fact that last challenge awaits then I'm doing the 30/40min track from the 1st camp to the Tsunami camp to unlock that Bronze trophy...

...it doesn't make any sense why I would do that BUT I want do want to do that & that's why this game gets the :smashin: from me.

Last edited:
I was also going to ebay this (Night races, WHY? It's in the middle of the wilderness, there are no street lights!!!), but then I had a race that was epic. Started on the the top of a mountain and had to follow a helicopter down. It was great.

It currently has a stay of execution, but it's still overall disappointing.

p.s. Globetrotter Trophy, Drive a cumulative total of 620 miles in free ride mode. Are you fr*ggin serious!! :mad:

Maybe it'll have a couple more hours on my PS3 to give it a second chance then ........ it had better start impressing me by then though :D

Hello all,

I'm considering buying this as it can be found for £30 and...well, I'm rolling in it at the moment :D:cool:

I was just wondering what it played like? From reading the comments so far it appears that it isn't as good as motorstorm in terms of handling but is it handling that you get used to? I really want to get it largely because it's so huge and I've been waiting for a game this big for a while now, but from looking at a few gameplay videos on youtube (I know :rolleyes: ) it looks good but a bit excessive with the drifting!

Also, does anyone know if this is going as part of a deal anywhere? a kind of "buy these two new releases for a slightly discounted price" kind of thing? I'm particularly interested in Infamous, but I guess I'm hoping for a little bit much.

And how much HDD space does it take up overall? My 40GB PS3 is pretty much maxed out, I could probably fit another game or two on there but if it takes up a lot of space then it might be a bit too much, and I would hate to put it in to find I can't play it!..I will be getting another HDD soon, just wondering whether I should do it at the same time or whether I can put it off for another month

if your feeling flush get yourself another HD for £60 ;) i expect FUEL will be down to the £20 mark sooner rather than later as well. It's been hammered in the reviews and i expect they will want to shift games

Picked this up today. i kinda like it. A think wit ha bit more time it will turn out half decent. I think i am just a bit lost with it at the minute due to the sheer physical size. Anyone up for some online drop us a FR

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom