fuel fillter change ford focus diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wookielover

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience in changing a fuel filter on a ford focus 1.8 TDVo durotorq engine ?

just after a bit of a guide

Which type is it?

Is it the cartridge type or the full plastic canister type?

Have you had a look around the forums? My X Type developed a fault earlier this week, and 2 minutes on the Jaguar forums gave me the likely fault and a photo guide (it was a split pipe under the EGR valve). Within an hour i'd repaired it myself and cleaned out the EGR to boot.

Have you had a look around the forums?

The OP would have gotten the advice he required in this forum if he would have answered my question.

I could have given a comprehensive guide on how to replace the fuel filter on their car if I had known which type of filter is fitted (I could have given a guide for both types, but it would have helped knowing which type it was.)

I have 42 years experience working in the motor trade, 32 years in business.

hi car man , sorry i didnt reply but work came up .
I managed to replace the fuel filter myself. found a guide on line . simple really. continue to have problems tho.
its 2005 1.8 tdci ford focus. engine system fault came on . lack of power - like no turbo . this has happned twice in the past and each time ive taken it to a garage and they have replaced the fuel filter - which has fixed it .
this time i thought " well ill save some cash and do it myself " so changed the fuel and air filter no problem. Car cranked over after a couple of turns and ran. took it for a test and boom , engine system fault. stalls . takes a bit to restart and restarts with the engine system fault on. will then drive , but like it has no turbo - wont rev past 2.5/3k complete lack of power/ boost. Ive checked the pipes to and from the turbo and everywehere i cant see a split or leak . dont the ignition fault test to see if i can get a code come up but no codes stored. Ive just started it now and its started fine , and idled ok ( normally , whilst having this problem very rough idle or dyding when dipping the clutch and engine under no load , ) but im sure im going to go for a drive and the bugger will cut out. problem is when it stalls no brakes or power steering. Cant risk that , not with kids in the car. Now at a loss. Havny a lot of cash to just throw after problems so hoping its something simple and i can fix. thinking poss MAF sensor or EGR or maybe a split pipe ive missed . ANY ADVICE ??

Just to update I case this ever gets picked up on a random google search or anyone's interested.

Fixed the problem. The fuel filter was in correctly but the rubber seal had been put in wrong by the garage , hence I had copied the garage when I had re-assembled the filter housing . If anyone cares , the order is - filter housing filled with fuel - rubber seal - filter - top. The seal must go befo the filter not the other way around.

I've had quite a few problems with split turbo pipes on these, the one on top of the engine where the MAP sensor is mounted via a screw into the steel pipe that the rubber pipes fit onto....take it off to check for a split underneath.

Failing that it could be a stuck/sticking EGR valve, a faulty MAF, fuel pressure regulator or similar, turbo vacuum solanoid, camshaft sensor, etc.

Maybe have a full diagnostic check done by Ford.

I found this for you if it helps........

2007 focus 1.8tdci fueling problem - PassionFord

Take a look at post number 6 in particular.

Typical, I was typing as you posted!!

Mods, please remove this post if required.

Just to update I case this ever gets picked up on a random google search or anyone's interested.

Fixed the problem. The fuel filter was in correctly but the rubber seal had been put in wrong by the garage , hence I had copied the garage when I had re-assembled the filter housing . If anyone cares , the order is - filter housing filled with fuel - rubber seal - filter - top. The seal must go befo the filter not the other way around.

Glad you got it sorted :smashin:

car-man said:
Glad you got it sorted :smashin:

Thank you , such a silly little thing but once you work it out makes sense. Because the seal was in wrong it had caused air to enter and eventually throw the engine management out and put it in limp . Around the right way the seal is tight . I know these cars go through fuel filters quickly but now I'm just wondering how many are assembled incorrectly

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom