1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Crusher/Rasczak DMR-E50 Recording Settings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sdm197, Apr 28, 2003.

1. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have read the other long thread regarding this topic and i'm now thoroughly confused

Like many here I'm new to dvd recording , I only acquired my DMR-E50 Recently, and I bow to the superior knowledge of the forum members, but can we just try to clear up for me this question. What are the best settings/or best compromise for recording the following?

1/S-VHS
    2/VHS
    3/Laserdisc
    4/Off air broadcast

Automatic or fixed Hybrid VBR?

FR or not?:confused:

Sorry guys but I need your help on this one, with your own findings, or experiments, I would be glad to hear from any of the forum members own settings for recording the above sources.

2. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion:
    If you're archiving then use Flexible Recording (FR) purely so that you use all available disc space and hence get the best quality for that length of video. The amount of video you are prepared to put on a disc will be personal preference due to everyone's quality standards will be different, just be aware that over 2hrs 20mins 'ISH' the resolution will drop to LP res rather than XP/SP.
    You've listed 4 input standards but again it will depend on your own quality requirements and subject you're archiving, eg you'd probably want to keep more quality if archiving home video of young kids rather than a few episodes of stargate.

"Automatic or fixed Hybrid VBR?"
    Right, the panny always records in Hybrid VBR so don't worry about that. The Auto or fixed setting refers to the resolution being fixed for the duration of the recording or not, my reading is that as the action on screen intensifies and if the panny considers that a higher bitrate is required then in Auto it will drop resolution and allow a higher bitrate. This resolution shift is known to happen from experiments others have done, but seeing as nobody has actualy reported seeing it happen on screen then it is a subtle and seemless process so I'd leave this setting in Auto and take advantage.

Regards
    Paul.

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Sound advice. That sums it up in a nut shell... I find that "Standard play" is good for what it indicates. A good all round compromise for different sources of material and FR when you need or want to make the program fit the disc.

I only use XP when I know I will be using that recording as a master for making further copies in XP or SP. Otherwise FR or SP should suite your needs providing you are not viewing on a hundred foot wide TV screen:D :D :D

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    I would say use Flexible Recording as well - unless you want to only put 1 hour on a disk when it will make no difference using XP (as that is the maximum bitrate anyway).

I agree with what Fuel has said - keep the Panny in the Auto mode.

On a time to disk ration I put 100 minutes of SVHS on a disk, 90 minutes of VHS and about 120 minutes from off air Sky broadcast. Never copied Laserdisk so can't comment there. I've found these times tend to offer the best capacity without degrading picture. Of course it depends on the source quality - if its poor put less on a disk.

It all comes down to personnel preference though - I view many of my recordings on a projector which tends to show up artifacts so my time/disk ratio is based on that.

5. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thankyou Fuel Crusher,Malcom and Rasczak,

I was way confused after reading the other thread!!

Rasczak, thanks for the comment about projection use, as I use a Barco projector with a 6ft screen myself.:D