FTTP router location

g12

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, due to get FTTP installed next week. Currently have sky ADSL broadband with router centrally in the house in a cupboard under the stairs. There is an ethernet network socket in this cupboard with Ethernet running from the router to 4 rooms in the house (all installed during building work/conversion). The questions I have are:

1) What are the prospects of Openreach installing the FTTP equipment in such a way that allows me to be able to keep the router in the cupboard under the stairs (which would involve a bit of work running cables behind walls etc I imagine), therefore maintaining my current ethernet network?

2) If for some reason the FTTP equipment has to be installed in a more "convenient" location for the engineer eg at one end of the house, does the router have to be next to it? And if so, if it was in one of the rooms where there ethernet network runs to, would it be possible to connect the router back to the central network socket (in the cupboard under the stairs) along the existing network, and then using a splitter run the ethernet "back on itself" at the network socket to the other 3 rooms in the house that the ethernet network runs to?

Not sure if that makes any sense but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at! Essentially I'm keen to maintain my current ethernet network with the new installation.

Thanks

I can't speak for Openreach's current policy on more complicated installs but the ONT does connect to the router using standard ethernet so you can route the cable between them and position the router however you like.

If you're contemplating having the fibre installed through the house I'd be looking at doing that with an additional ethernet cable. The other three rooms will just connect to the router but a splitter back to the room where the ONT is will limit you to fast ethernet (95Mbps) as gigabit needs all eight wires in the cable.

Had FTTP installed in September and I was worried that Openreach would probably just put the ONT near the inside of the front door, where the old connection terminated. I wanted the ONT in an upstairs bedroom where my router sits. To get there involved running the cable around the outside of the house and up a floor. The engineer was happy to do this and was really helpful.

Had FTTP installed in September and I was worried that Openreach would probably just put the ONT near the inside of the front door, where the old connection terminated. I wanted the ONT in an upstairs bedroom where my router sits. To get there involved running the cable around the outside of the house and up a floor. The engineer was happy to do this and was really helpful.
Hi Woodymogs,

Did the engineer run the cable around the outside or inside to your preferred location?
I've a similar issue but I don't want cables run along the inside walls.

Hi Woodymogs,

Did the engineer run the cable around the outside or inside to your preferred location?
I've a similar issue but I don't want cables run along the inside walls.
They offered to do either but like you, I preferred a run on the outside of the house, which they they did :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom