FTTP installation questions.

ron swanson

Fifth image (20211014_141315.jpg) looks like it's mis-wired to me - looks like solid blue and solid green are next to each other on (respectively) pins 4 & 5. Though the image is a bit blurred and making it hard to see.

Check them again, the pin outs should be the same both ends and follow the order White/Orange - Orange - White/Green - Blue - White/Blue - Green - White/Brown - Brown.

If it is mis-wired, it'll need to be cut off an re-terminated correctly.

(And shame on the installer for not testing it properly, but we've all been there.) :D

I'll double check.

The fifth imagine is the end in the annex and as best I can tell it looks like two solid colors are next to each other but my eyes are having a job to distinguish the colors exactly.

Sorry about the pictures, I had a hell of a job getting them done with any sort of clarity some of the others were even worse!!

Would it being mis-wired explain why I had consistent problems with dropouts when used for it's original purpose of linking the sky boxes together? If thats the case you see I will ring sky up again and tell them the issue is still present.

I spoke to them a month or so ago and they just blamed my crap internet connection obviously that isn't a factor now I'm on fibre.

ron swanson

Cable looks fully wires so Yes, it could be a poor crimp causing the problem.

As mentioned previously, can you get a long cable to test the connection between the devices.

I'd be looking at around 100 to 150 foot worth of cable unfortunately it's not really feasible for me to do that.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Sorry about the pictures, I had a hell of a job getting them done with any sort of clarity some of the others were even worse!!

No worries - it's tough to get good images of such things if you aren't using a camera with a macro-focus ability - especially if the light levels are low or you're using flash.

Would it being mis-wired explain why I had consistent problems with dropouts when used for it's original purpose of linking the sky boxes together? If thats the case you see I will ring sky up again and tell them the issue is still present.

Could be, but I've never seen SkyQ kit so can't say for sure. Based on what others in this thread are saying about it, it's "just" using ethernet like any other ethernet device, so there wouldn't be any particularly "special" SkyQ flavoured ethernet that somehow works differently.

If it's mis-wired as I suspect, it's amazing it works at all as you've got a split/crossed pair across green/blue.

"Crap internet connection" has nothing to do with this - that's just the Helpdesk guys guessing because they couldn't figure anything else out.

Last edited:

oneman

I'd be looking at around 100 to 150 foot worth of cable unfortunately it's not really feasible for me to do that.
As I mentioned, get it from Amazon, you can return it if the existing cable is not faulty. Will only cost you a few quid and eliminate the cable as the cause of issue else at the moment you have something which seems to be the cause of the issue but you don't know.

ron swanson

No worries - it's tough to get good images of such things if you aren't using a camera with a macro-focus ability.

Could be, but I've never seen SkyQ kit so can't say for sure. Based on what others in this thread are saying about it, it's "just" using ethernet like any other ethernet device, so there wouldn't be any particularly "special" SkyQ flavoured ethernet that somehow works differently.

If it's mis-wired as I suspect, it's amazing it works at all as you've got a split/crossed pair across green/blue.

I might give sky a call about the issues that plagued the boxes despite the ethernet connection they installed supposedly eradicating them I can soon plug them back into the boxes. I'm guessing the first thing an engineer will do is take a look at the ends.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I might give sky a call about the issues that plagued the boxes despite the ethernet connection they installed supposedly eradicating them I can soon plug them back into the boxes. I'm guessing the first thing an engineer will do is take a look at the ends.
If you get them out, it shouldn't take them many minutes to crimp on a new plug and test it. Point it out to them if you like, even point them at this thread. I doubt they'll take offense, especially if it saves them a bunch of time investigating.

ron swanson

If you get them out, it shouldn't take them many minutes to crimp on a new plug and test it. Point it out to them if you like, even point them at this thread. I doubt they'll take offense, especially if it saves them a bunch of time investigating.

I'll start with them and mention it if they will send someone out, to be fair I've dealt with a few sky engineers over the years and I've only ever encountered one with a chip on his shoulder the others have all been spot on.

neilball

So it is Cat5e cable, and what looks like a mis-wired plug on one end. It ought to have been obvious to the technician at the time - it would never have passed a simple cable test with suitable equipment, and all technicians should have a basic test kit (and know how to use it) if they are expected to run ethernet cabling as part an installation.

Anyway, it should be a very quick and simple fix for someone with basic cable termination experience.

ron swanson

Yeah two of us have checked the ends of the cable now and they're definitely not identical looking.

I'll ring sky up about it and go from there, if I can't get them to do anything about it then I will probably have a go myself, I've got the tools and there is plenty of slack cable so if I stuff it up then there will be enough for another attempt by someone a bit more experienced than me.

I've done telephones in the past so I wouldn't mind setting is as a challenge to myself to be honest.

Thanks again to everyone for their time and help.

Hopefully I will be able to get it sorted out sooner rather than later one way or the other.

Last edited:

neilball

If you are going to do it yourself then get some pass-through/easy RJ45 plugs - these allow you to push the individual wires through and out of the end of the plug so it is much easier to see that you have all the wires in the right order before you use crimp too. If you can you should also get a cheap continuity tester to also prove you’ve got each lin connected at both ends - you still need to make sure you have the wires in the correct colour sequence as the cheap testers will still pass the basic test with wires in a random order providing they use that same random sequence at both ends. So look up the TIA-568B wire sequence and follow that at both ends.

Something like these are what I’m suggesting (and you can get boots for strain relief etc too).

Amazon product
Just make sure you get Cat5e plugs, as the wire size is different for Cat6 etc.

ron swanson

If you are going to do it yourself then get some pass-through/easy RJ45 plugs - these allow you to push the individual wires through and out of the end of the plug so it is much easier to see that you have all the wires in the right order before you use crimp too. If you can you should also get a cheap continuity tester to also prove you’ve got each lin connected at both ends - you still need to make sure you have the wires in the correct colour sequence as the cheap testers will still pass the basic test with wires in a random order providing they use that same random sequence at both ends. So look up the TIA-568B wire sequence and follow that at both ends.

Something like these are what I’m suggesting (and you can get boots for strain relief etc too).

Amazon product
Just make sure you get Cat5e plugs, as the wire size is different for Cat6 etc.

Thanks for the info.

As I said I'm going to ring sky up and point out it's wired wrong and I'm having issues. If I don't get any joy with them I'll probably do it myself.

Is there any places I can but smaller quantities of RJ45 plugs and covers? I've seen cheap kits with crimps etc in and I'm thinking to do this single termination they will be adequate.

Can you point me in the direction of a decent quality tester at all?

Would something like this kit here be ok for a single installation like I'm after doing?

Amazon product

As I've already said I'm appreciative of everyone's time with this.

neilball

It’s not really practical for online stockists to supply smaller packs than those on Amazon and I usually buy bags or tubs of 100 pieces and upwards. It’s really easy to make mistakes when crimping so you’ll always get through more plugs than you think you will need, especially when terminating for the first time.

The kit you linked to has pretty much all you would need for DIY use, so if you get nowhere with Sky then you could give that a try.

ron swanson

Thought I would give an update of sorts.

Spoke to sky and told them two of the wires on the installed ethernet cable were wired in the wrong place and that I think it's causing issues with the connection. I've got an engineer coming out next week.

Interestingly I've actually had issues with the connection between the sky box both wired directly to the other box and via the smart hub so I think the visit to rewire the cable is justified because something is clearly off.

Apparently the engineer who installed the cable was getting a bit frustrated by the end of the job and the mis wired end is the end where he would've finished so I'm guessing he forgot to test the connection with a tester or just wanted to get done and gone. I think we were his last job of the day.

Hopefully I'll be able to provide a final update with a rewired ethernet cable thats working fully soon.

Once again thanks to everyone who took the time to help me because I honestly wouldn't have known it was a wiring issue and left things as they were.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yep agree with the others it looks like the is wired wrongly

However just to confirm did you see this cable lit up green on the switch. Can you take a photo of the switch and lights too?

1634134663262-png.1585603

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom