• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

FTP or UTP Cat5e cable for home network?

Mad Monk

Established Member
I am in the process of wiring the house and I have some FTP and UTP Cat5e cable lying around which I plan to use. Does it make a difference which cable I use for AV distribution?

I read on some websites that 'solid' cable cannot be terminated with a RJ45 plug at either end. Is this true?

Any advice on a good 300m roll would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
FTP has advantages it has a sheild is tougher and can be useful, its harder to terminate tho. Ideally structure cable (solid core should be terminated at patch panels and outlets but RJ45 can be fitted direct.)

have a look at SCP cable they sell ranges of hybrid cables which includes combined 14/4 + Cat5 in one sheath (ideal for multiroom audio) and 2 cat5 and 2 coax in one sheath (ideal for Video distribution)
http://www.scpcat5e.com/

Mad Monk

Established Member
Thanks for the link. I never knew such multi purpose cables existed. I'll have a looksy through their catalogue, I'm certain that they will have something for me.

@hornydragon - Just noticed that they are based in the US, have you used these guys for cross Atlantic shipping before?

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
The SCP cables are available in the UK there is wharehouse full of them already cleared customs and waiting for shipping to the mainland UK... All the most common cables are in stock i think.

Last edited:

Mad Monk

Established Member
Thats great news! Much obliged for the info mate. I think I'll be running these multi core cables around the house for my internet and av distribution. Now to decide which ones I need..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom