FTA from scratch with Netgem

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mrkjd, Jul 12, 2003.

1. mrkjd

mrkjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have analogue cable right now but am going to move to FTA. I have decided to go for a Netgem after reading this forum but I have a couple of questions regarding setting up the ariel since I don't have one at present. As I live in a strong reception area I think an ariel in the loft will be sufficient. Who supplies good ariels? Would the bog standard ones at B&Q suffice? Likewise cabling - are there different qualities of coaxial cable. My thinking is that if I use good quality here I will maximise PQ.

Finally, the Netgem doesn't have a regular RS45 ethernet connector so I need a USB to ethernet adaptor is that right? I intend to get a router eventually but at present I would be looking at just plugging my cable modem (NTL) into the netgem to see how usable it is. That's what I do if I want to go online with my xbox - far from ideal but it works until I can address the home networking properly!

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You may be able to get away with a loft aerial if you do live in a strong digital reception area, but for preference, I'd use an external aerial.

Starting from scratch you need to make sure you get a "wideband" aerial. If you search some of the other threads in this section, there's a bit of discussion on this subject.

That's correct. You can find a list of compatible adapters here. I've had a quick look around for these myself, and you're going to be looking at around a £20 outlay give or take a few pennies.