1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTA digital receiver with digital out?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by newbiebie, Apr 26, 2005.

1. newbiebie

newbiebie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Is there any box whatsoever Freeview, Satellite, other (apart from Sky SDI modded) that has a DVI/HDMI out or has reputedly been SDI modded in the past? I cannot find any today

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    any reason why you dont want Sky+ ?

3. newbiebie

newbiebie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David, I am not a big Sky fan but that's just to do with me. Tend to record movies from BBCs, ITVs, 4, 5, etc. (watch later), rent DVDs, and watch live sports (big world or European events only). All for free, so not very keen on £360 annual Sky packages. I am not sure I would get good VFM. And I can treat myself with a new mid-high-end DVD player for that price every other year or so, or one high-end STB if there was one for that matter.. Possibly will change my mind if they are the only ones that have ALL movies, ALL sports and ALL series in HD by the end of next year but I would not bet on it. Would have to buy new Sky+ HD by the way, so why bother with current. Anyway it's going to be a slooowww roll out (and why should it not be if less than 5% of the installed TV park is HD Ready today?). In the meantime, ie next 2 years at least, how do I get the best PQ from (free) SD broadcasts? I'd like to try 576i direct from a Freeview MPEG decoder digitally into the scaler and see what it looks like. That's all.

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    NOW I get it .. I thought from your post that you wanted Sky , but not SDI, if you see what I mean.
    Agreed that the HD for Sky rollout will be very slow - your best bet is an HTPC solution. We havent tried it but it might be possible to get a DVB-T card , running with XCard, in to an SDI output module to feed Freeview in to your Lumagen. It just depends on the DVB-T card support for the 3rd party TVedia application for Xcard..I know, even *sounds* complex doesnt it! :)

5. newbiebie

newbiebie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now we are talking :)
    I actually thought about HTPC but here we are talking a solution well in excess of £1000, arent we?
    I was more hoping to find this little gem of an STB box selling for £100 that can be modded for a couple 00s more (that is assuming you can get a good MPEG decoder for that price and it is accessible.). Or even a straight HDMI one out of the box and that can output 576i over HDMI.

6. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    What with Freeview boxes occuping the cheap and cheerful end of the digital TV market I can't see any manufacturers going to the expense of adding an HDMI output.

It's a feature of limited value to most users and it wouldn't really add to sales as many of the high end plasmas/LCDs that come with HDMI sockets already have built in Freeview.

Your best bet will probably to wait for the high end DVD/HDD recorders from Sony due in September which will have a digital tuner and are meant to include a HDMI output.

You'll be looking at £500-600, though !

7. newbiebie

newbiebie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. At least there is hope.. :)

It still beats me that Samsung can build a DVD player for £125 with HDMI-upscaling-DCDi-et-al, and no one would build a Freeview box with the same features that would deinterlace and scale the digital broadcast feed through HDMI for an equivalent price :( .

It might just come later this year..