1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2s and Amp setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bleach, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought a Dennon 3802 and want to install additional FS2s as rear speakers. However not knowing a lot about this subject :blush: I'm a bit slow on how to set them up.
    The FS2s plug directly into the back of the sub, can I connect all of them directly to the amp? I havent bought the FS2s yet, but when I do I dont want to blow them up (Not straight away anyway!) :)
    Thanks in advance.

2. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes you can plug them in direct to the amp as far as I know, the only difference being they don't sound as good as having then plugged through the sub. Why not buy the set that has a sub and two speakers, then that will solve all your problems, and the two subs can be linked.

I have the 3802 and fs2s, but wish I had a larger room than my 7foot by 9foot bedroom to fit then in, then I would have this setup.

3. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Forgot, if you private message me, I can attach an acrobat reader file from mission all about this topic.

Mark

4. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    DON'T plug your FS2s directly to your amp.

1. You will risk blowing your FS2.

2. You will get absolutely NO bass coming from your FS2 if pluged directly to the amp. The FS2 speakers are solely designed to be used in conjunction with the FS2 subwoofer, which automatically manages the bass to all the FS2s.

If you are upgrading your current FS2AV to a 6.1/7.1 set-up, then there are only two options avaliable to you: - the expensive method & the cheaper method.

1. For the expensive method, you will need an FS2 package which consists of 2 FS2 speakers & an FS2 subwoofer.

2. For the less expensive method, you can purchase either a pair of Mission m77ds (very hard to come by these days) or the newer m7ds speakers, which offers the same sound characteristics of the FS2 speakers.

I ended up chosing the latter method and a pair of the m7ds and am happy with it. Just be sure to set all FS2s to 'Large' and if you decide to get the Mission DS series, then select them to 'Small'.

5. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It clearly says on the acrobat reader file I have from mission that you CAN connect the speakers direct to the amp, but you will not have any bass support, therefore they recommend the use of the FS2-A set which comprises 2 speakers and another sub.

6. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is how I am going for the 6.1 set up, the only thing is where do they recomend putting the second subwoofer and how long a cable does it have? Does it plug into the first sub or straight into the amp?

7. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is what mission have to say,

Left, Centre and Right Front channels
    Position a subwoofer for the front channels either behind or beneath the image source, or in one front corner of the room. Connect the umbilical lead from the subwoofer to the left, right and centre outputs of the AV amplifier. Connect the left, right and centre channel NXT based panels to the designated connections on the subwoofer.
    Left, Centre and Right Rear channels
    Position a second subwoofer for the rear channels either in a corner behind the listeners, or in the opposing corner to the front subwoofer, wherever convenient. Connect the umbilical from this subwoofer with the ‘Left’ and ‘Right’ labeled cables to the ‘Left
    Rear’and ‘Right Rear’ outputs of the AV amplifier. Connect the ‘Left Rear’ and ‘Right Rear’ labeled cables to the ‘Rear Centre’ outputs of the AV amplifier. Then connect the Left Rear and Right Rear NXT panels to the ‘Left’ and ‘Right’ outputs on the subwoofer. Connect the rear channel panels to the Left Rear and Right Rear outputs on the subwoofer.
    LFE channel
    It is recommended that both subwoofers carry the LFE channel to improve LFE output capability and dynamic range. The second subwoofer LFE input can be connected to the AV amplifier LFE output using a ‘Y’ adapter to split the output between both
    subwoofers. (Note: do not use the subwoofer link to connect the subwoofers as this link carries ‘ALL’ bass information).

Thanks go to mission for the information they provided above

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    grumpy... you're skipping a big section of the mission pdf file.

the first section actually says about emulating cinema style rear sound:-
    so they actually recommend EITHER ds series bipoles OR an FS2 setup.
    Mission have confirmed this to me about 6 months ago.

the fs2 satellites will sound truly awful without a sub - easy to test this,
    just switch your sub off and play something. about as good as £10 AM radio I reckon.
    not really recommended by Mission - just that its "possible".

yes, an FS2-A would be nice but expensive at £350+..

a single ds for £50 is waaay cheaper if thats all you need amp-wise and can split with someone.

a pair at £100 is still more friendly in the wallet stakes.

Bleach - as is, this and related FS2 questions have been asked before..
    do a search for FS2 & 6.1 or EX.. plus similar variations.
    lots of good threads that will answer most questions.