1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2AV + extra sub, possible?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bleach, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm sure this has all been said before and I do apologise if it has, I've had a search but havent found anything, anyway:-
    Can someone give me some help on my Mission FS2s please. The problem(not really a problem) is that I'd like to upgrade the sub as it's fine but doesent really break down any doors with its power. So basically, is there/what's the best way of fitting an additional sub? Usual problem with the unbelical cord thingy, but did notice a sub-link phono socket in the sub itself, or maybe a y spilt to pass to another sub? Is it that simple or indeed posible? Apologies as my technical knowledge is nowhere near any of you lot & I might be on completly the wrong track. I've got the AVR3802 btw.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

I would have though a Y splitter would be the simplest route. Could always give Mission a call or send them an email, very helpful people apparently. Here´s their website www.mission.co.uk

cheers:)

3. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Bleach,

You can connect a second FS2 sub using a single phono lead via the socket you mentioned.

I have already done so having purchased the sub on Ebay. The official mission price is £249.

I'm not sure whether you could connect a non-mission sub via this route though.

Cheers,

Steve.

4. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your all help. I've now ordered a second set of FS2AV as I can then use the other panels to drive the 6/7 channels and have a second sub. Not sure how good it'll sound with the 2 subs, but should be pretty good I think.
    One question though about what to do next (any help would be very greatfully received!).
    I'll now have 3 spare panels after installing the rear 2 channels, 1 of them I'll use to double up my centre speaker, but what shall I do with the spare 2?:-
    A - Double up my front left/right?
    or
    B - Connect them up to the surround B channel on my 3802?
    :confused:

I've been thinking about this over the weekend, am I right in thinking that the surround A+B channles are the same output? If this is the case, what's the advantage in using this as opposed to doubling up the front Left and right, afterall this is where most of the sound comes from?
    I think I should start up a new thread about this really.

Thanks in advance.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

You can use Surround A & B together if you want but remember they are sharing the same amplification. The time I tried, it didn´t sound very good as it buggered up the surround stage at the back.

I´d double up the Front Left & Right so that all front three speakers match.

cheers:)

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the mission pdf file thats been posted loads of times covers all these questions pretty well.

should still be on my download area at:-
    http://www.staff.livjm.ac.uk/cismconn/fs2av-EX-ES.pdf

for example it does state clearly (and Juiceloose you may be interested also)
    so you dont want to use the phono socket on the sub to connect a 2nd sub.

I'm pretty sure you could've bought a non-Mission sub and not connected up the LFE umbilical line to the fs2 set - just plug a phono cable into the "conventional" sub.
    the fs2 sub works out the crossover for all other audio so it would've worked fine.

7. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartinCo,

Thanks mate, that's a great document and contains all the information I need :)

Jase,

I'll try both methods, but I'll take your experience on board and probably go for doubling the front l/r up.

Thanks for all your help.

8. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bleach, if you have a chance, post us a review of the 6.1 or 7.1 setup. I'd be interested to know what you did and how it sounds in the end.

9. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok no problem. the 2ns set hasn't arrived yet but as soon as it has and maybe after it's bedded in I'll put up a review.

10. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    MartinCo,

Thanks for the information.

Whilst I'm currently running two FS2 subs linked together with a phono cable I note that you mention I could connect a second none FS2 sub.

I currently have a MK1 REL Storm doing nothing and would if possible like to utilise it. I've been told that I couldn't do so as a result of which I purchased the second FS2 sub.

The problem with the REL is that it has an XLR connection at the sub end and bare wires to connect to the positive and negative terminals on my 3802.

Should I just connect the REL to the speaker terminals on the 3802 or does it need a Y connection so that one of the FS2 subs and the Storm are connected to the LFE output from the 3802.

If this is the case, any ideas on how I can convert the bare speaker connections on the Storm into a phono connection.

Cheers,

Juiceloose

11. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ZZR and Co, I've now put up a post titled "My neighbours now hate me!!" if you want to read a 'slightly dodgy completly non professional' review. :)