fs2av 6.1 setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ollie_b1, Jul 26, 2002.

1. ollie_b1

ollie_b1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey,

Yesterday i ordered some mission m7ds speakers to go with my fs2-av system to make a 6.1 setup with my new yamaha dsp-ax630se receiver..

However, they sent me a mission m7c2 center speaker by mistake, but before i return it, i was thinking whether i could use it in my setup, as perhaps a better alternative. This would mean that the fs2 centre speaker would be used as the rear centre and the new m7c2 as the main centre - is this a good idea? no matter if not, as i will simply return and get the ds speakers.

If this is suitable, would i wire the centre speaker directly to the amp? as all the fs2 satellites go through the fs2 sub, and then to the amp via the umbilical chord.

Any comments/suggestions please!

Ollie <- newbie :)

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Hi

I´d use it as the rear centre, given the choice. You would still have the FS2 as the five main channels, they all match tonally, good for when there is sound panning from speaker to speaker. The rear centre does´nt get used as much in films so you´re less likely to notice any tonal differences by having it at the back, something which you´d notice if you used it as the main centre.

You would need to connect it directly to the amp and set it to SMALL in the speaker setup menu.

Failing that, send it back, get the other speaker and use that as the rear centre.

3. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 77ds (m7ds more or less supercede these) as my surround rears.

The centre speaker you have is not the ideal speaker to compliment the fs2avs for a surround back speaker. Mission actually recommend the use of either another pair of fs2 speakers (and an additional sub to correctly maintain the bass) or bipole (or dipole) speakers.

The m7ds you originally sent for are bipole speakers (like my 77ds) and fire off sound in two different directions giving a better surround effect.

Send the centre back and get the m7ds speakers. These can be mounted quite high up. Mine actually are ceiling height and I have mounted them upside down. They are excellent speakers and project the sound very well.

Daz

4. ollie_b1

ollie_b1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, i had read all the posts on this subject, and so went for the ds speakers - i'll send back the center speaker and get the ones i wanted.

many thanks for your replies: just out of interest Daz, have you wired the speakers in series so that could can make use of both 77ds's? or you might have a 7.1 setup which uses both of them on seperate channels..

the reason i ask is that my original plan (i'm full of plans..) was to use one and sell on the other - is there a major acoustic advantage to having the two of them wired in series (from the threads i have searched, it seems series , not parallel, is the way to go) - or would I be better off with the money? :)

cheers again

5. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess its entirely upto you.

The idea of the bipoles is that they spread sound around the room and bounce sound off the walls giving a better sense of surround sound.

Mine is setup to a Denon 3802 amp which has 7.1 channels.

I would be inclined to use both speakers myself even if they are on the one channel (the sound is the same out of both of them anyhow for DTS-ES and DD EX).

Take a look how many surround speakers there at a cinema. These surround speakers all send out the same sound but help to widen the surround sound scape.

If I were you I would try with two speakers connected and also try with just the one and see what difference you notice. If its marginal you could sell off the spare.

What do you think of the FS2AVs ?

Daz

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. ollie_b1

ollie_b1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartinCo, many thanks - i had already stumbled upon that post in my search for more info (how invaluable this board is...)

Daz, - I will try as you said, and do some testing, although i think it might be difficult for my untrained ear - similarly , I am very impressed with the FS2s - but I have very little experience of any other setups - plus of course, they look great.

Just a quick thought, for these rears, will i be able to use the mission fs2 cable (i think i have enough left over) ?
    - the advantage of this is that it is so flat, as to be virtually invisible and can be folded to run up the corner of the room (the only route i'm afraid - so visibility is a factor)

cheers again for all your help

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    using bipoles, its debatable if you really need 2 speakers for a 6.1 setup, especially if your room is fairly narrow at the back.
    as the room gets bigger, then I'd definitely say yes though...

if you were using a conventional speaker (like a centre) then yes you'd need two.. but since bipoles fire left & right sideways the imaging should be pretty good even with one.

try whatever your seating area is across all the seats and see what the results are like.

the fs2 speaker cable should be fine to use though... others do similar stuff anyway.

since you have some left, I guess its not that big a room?

9. ollie_b1

ollie_b1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it is a small room - i think you may be right in that 2 might be overkill - at least i will have the luxury of trying two - if the difference is noticable, i'll let you know - thanks for your comments

:)

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cool. did some tests ages ago but difficult due to the room.

will be going 6.1 properly with the FS2s pretty soon,
    also with the ds bipoles.. maybe just the one, although its 13-14ft across at the back of my now re-arranged new living room so....

I had no spare fs2 speaker cable on mine so I used my Sherlock Holmes intuition and guessed the size of your room!:D