FS2 Sub humming

eeek

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought (insurance replacement really) an FS2-AV speaker system last week and spent last night setting it up. Annoyingly when the amplifer is switched off the subwoofer starts humming (switch the amplifer back on and it stops). Is this normal or is the sub faulty?

I know I could switch the sub off but as its behind the television and the system is supposed to be wife friendly this is not really a practical option.

Admitatly only had mine a short time, but it makes no noise when I leave it on. I think they go into 'sleep' more after a while.

Is the volume set too high ?? (I have mine at about halfway).

Sorry I cant be more help.

Bill

as long as it goes into power-saving mode, then the sub shouldn't hum.

mine didn't go into ps mode a few times when I didnt have it completely cabled up.. seems to foul it.

If I remember correctly there is a hum if the system is not fully cabled/cabled correctly. Check your connections and see if that helps.

Sorry to reopen this thread but I just set up my FS2-AV system and I too have subwoover humming - it's possible that everything is not set up just right but how do I really know whether thats the case. I *think* that when stripping the flat speaker cable - something I found annoying tricky to do right, a couple of stands of wire might have snipped off when I tied the ends together.

1. Could this be the cause of the problem?
2. How important is this to the overall performance - I mean, does this mean that some of the sound information isn't passed from the amp / sub to the speaker.
3. COuld this explain why I'm finding the overall performace of the system pretty disappointing, and the speakers somewhat lacking.

Cheers in advance,
DDC

check you have everything connected up properly... mine didnt go into power saving mode at first (amber light instead of green). pretty sure I didnt have the sub connected up.

for the humming, check what volume you have the sub set to...
these dials affect the sound of the entire system - set wrong, the FS2s will sound awful.
you should be starting at half on both dials and then setting up the speakers as described in the manual, stereo sound first (4-5 pieces of music say) then 5.1 stuff... quite a few threads on this previously if you have a search.

also, have you wall or stand mounted the speakers?

if you've got broken strands on the ends of the cables, recut them again... (took me ages also... 10 minutes per cable).

Thanks Martin for your reply:

just like you my sub doesn't seem to go into power saving mode - it just stays on the green light all the time and keeps on humming...and humming....

The subs currently on about 40% - maybe 10.30 on the dial - as is the bass contour....I can't say I really like on more than this...it's right in the corner (can't move it anywhere else, before you say! :) ) and at anything higher it gets too bassy.

Speakers are on large and currently the fronts are stuck on the carpet (!) while the rears are on some handily placed shelf behind me before I get around to wall-mounting them. Do you think wall-mounting the fronts will result in signicantly better sound quality?

As for the strands, are these the reason the things still humming -all the speakers are connected up AFAIK and the test tones work on all - I haven't recut them yet, because I don't know (= forgot) which are broken - still are these the explanation for the sub not going in power saving mode....

Cheers,

DDC

check all the speaker connections...(including the sub).

I first set my FS2s up in stereo at the sub end, but connected every lead up at the amp end... result - no power saving.

once I connected up all the speaker connections on the sub, power saving worked fine.... guess they all have to be "terminated" for the amber light to kick in.

I suppose a bad connection could also do this... not sure.

as for the mounting/ stands question... a huge simplification but since the fs2 speakers work by "vibrating", wall mounting them makes a vast difference...

better mid-range, & more bass for starters.

pretty sure this is mentioned in the manual, or maybe read it here.. nearer to a wall/ corner, the better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom