1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2 satellites without the sub!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by FunkyMonkey, Jan 21, 2003.

1. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Can you use Mission FS2 satellites without their dedicated sub, and use a better sub instead? In other words, can the satellites be connected directly to the amp speaker outputs?

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    realistically no, you cant plug them directly into the amp.

they work but sound awful.

nothing to stop you buying a better sub in addition to the fs2 one anyway and putting the lfe channel through this.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    thats what I do. I use the FS(1) sub to work with the speakers to provide the mains (currently set to large, but experimenting), then have a separate LFE feed to another subwoofer.

4. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks for the advice.
    May I ask, if one has a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver, how does one use FS2's? I guess you wouldn't - I guess you'd gor somethign else???

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for 6.1 with the fs2s, you can go 2 ways.

1. buy another set of fs2 speakers (with another sub), either a stereo pair of 2 or another set of 5 fs2-av and use them accordingly, doubling up on some channels if you can. approx £350 to do this.

2. buy any mission ds series bipoles for approx £100-150.
    if you just want one rear speaker, then split the cost and sell the other one... makes it about £50 if you buy them from Richer.

richard - set the speakers to large, it should be in the documentation somewhere. others have had some success altering the crossover if you can on your amp. do a search on the forums for more info.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    amp is just a sony DB-830, so crossover is quite high and fixed (I think 100Hz), so I think large will do me better. Plus my sub is only a PDR10, so I don't feel comfortable feeding it too much bass work :)

7. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I am interested in 6:1 or 7:1. I have the Mission FS2av, got a note from mission regarding 6:! setup a while ago but only now can afford some more speakers and have lost them.

I have Denon 3802 amp with the fs2avs. I see that some are adding a different Subwoofer to the lfe feed. Now if I wish to go 6:1/7:1 which would be better to buy another FS2av pack and crosslink subs and have a more balanced sound, or to by a pair of fs2 speakers and hook them directly to teh amp and add a new improved sub, or some other method?

The FS2s satellite seem to have a gap in crossover frequency between the sub and sats if i read the literature properly, which probably account for the gap in midrange. As Low frequency soudn does not seem to be entirely directional hence the ability to use subs and sats can the same be said about mid range? if so then is would it be better to add a sub or other speaker to fill in the frequency gap? Suggestions to for improvement please.

Would like some idea too on the wiring with the 3802. If going 2 fsav pack route how does sone wire 2 back sats - i note there are multichannel connections on the amp and also mid rear speaker. If want the 2 sats at the rear - are these hooked to the rear or the multichannel - i presume that the dd-ex etc puts the feed to the rear so guess they hook to this. I suppose this means 2 sets of speaker cable goes to the same rear terminal to the new Sub and the new sub crosslinked to the output lfe on the current sub, then 2 sets of cable to the new sats at the back. This would presumably leave the multi-room sockets which could used for some of the remaining sats for the same room, or alternatively different room speakers. If using for the same room - what output do they give? same as the corner rears or a matirx between the front and corner rears (giving 6:1 discrete and a matrix feed between fronts and back).

Room is approx 14 by 12 feet.

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    djinn,

quite a few hidden questions there, probably easier to number them:)

anyway, just to muddy the issue a bit further ;), you can now get fs1 speakers separately without a sub, these according to Mission should work with the fs2-av set also (with a slightly different load).

I have some to test when I get a chance.

and yes, you'd just wire up to the rear speaker outs on your amp.

9. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked Mission about wiring and the best way to do such.... this is one option they suggested:

You can add an extra fs2 module to make you system 6.1 though this will need to be wired directly to the amp unlike the other modules. This doesn't matter as much as the rear center only has cetain frequencies put through it. The price for an extra module will be £76.06 inc vat.
    Regards
    Nicki

Of course that tends to smart of the thought that frequencies will be missed.

How about the other option for an upgrade.
    Does it make much difference adding another sub and or other sats?
    (ie. linking 2 fs2av packs together).

Also I read somewhere people were saying mission were discontinuing the fs2s
    Here is their reply to that:
    'I've not heard anything about the fs2 being discontiued as the moment though I suppose it will happen one day when they may be replaced by somthing else.
    Regards
    Nicki'

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    iam thinking of geting a fs1 set and adding an extra sat for 6.1 using a denon 1803 amp the room size is approx 20ft-12ft will this system sound ok for the room size

11. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    GK, my fs2s (previous model, slightly bigger satellites, some differences) are running in a room a very similar size, approx 22 x 13-14ft, off a Denon 2802. you should be fine.

can't answer the 6.1 bit till I've tested it.

djinn, I was talking about using an fs-1 satellite with the fs2s, its a cheaper option at about £40.
    dont worry about the "missing" frequencies, that's what your sub is for.

12. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advantage getting a second sub - if so which would u recommend?

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    martinco
    thanks for the reply
    and you are happy with your setup or would you change any part of it.

14. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    djinn, if you can afford it and fit the 2nd sub in with proper fs2 panels then its the better way to go.
    there is always the missions ds series bipole method of course, equally as good and no sub required - cosmetically this just doesn't work for me in my projector room unfortunately.

do a search, someone here did go the fs2-a route and was very happy, especially with the second sub contributing more bass.

gatekeeper - yes, very happy with the fs2s, work perfectly in my room size (NB they can go bigger) and mesh well with my home cinema setup. the sound field is impressive for such a small speaker once setup correctly.

I've mentioned it before (do a search), but IMHO the fs1 isn't quite as good as the fs2.. a few corners seem cut to trim costs down from £800 list to £400 (no surprise there), the key one being the speaker cable being much cheaper. the fitting/ mounting is also not as flexible or as solid.
    the sub in the fs1 kit is better so it does balance out.

they are still very good but worth looking at other alternatives at £300-350 mark perhaps.

its a moot point anyway since the fs2 is very scarce now, if available at all.