1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2 alternative cable?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by steev, Jul 25, 2002.

1. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of having a new timber frame house built. Of course I want a surround system in the living room, but I want to keep everything tidy. I'm thinking of running some speaker cable in the walls for the rear speakers. This will come out high up. I may also run an extra cable in case I want a centre rear later.

The current potential speakers are the Mission FS2/AV pack due to reasonable cost, good reviews and WAF. I know these come with their own special cable, but is there anything special apart from the flatness? Has anyone used other cable with these speakers?

I suppose I could run conduit and pull the cables through when I get the speakers, but I'm not sure how practical that will be given the number of corners involved.

TIA

Steve

2. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The FS2 cable is just a basic two-core so any wire will do. They give you about 50 metres of it with the system. If you go to www.mission.co.uk you can find out about wiring them, so you could run the cable now and then just out the system in later.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in a similar position....i have all my cabling in conduit around the room.
    Will i be able to use my existing cabling?......or will the cabling supplied with the Mission's fit okay into conduit?
    best regards
    LittleT2

4. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wiring supplied is stranded and lies flat in the cable for both terminals.

Personally I found it a pain as it kinks and twists along is length very easily. With a bit more care and asking around this forum a bit more I would have been better prepared (my pain your gain)

If substituting for other cable (which should be no problem) don't go overboard on spec...the grub screws on the speaker are kinda soft and prone to shearing. Any thick cable is only going to offer more resistance to the screw and potentially more problems.

There are plenty of threads running on FS2 installs including pics on this forum. A couple of searches will provide probably all the help you could ever want

good luck