1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS1,FS2, Elac Cinema 1,2 or XL Double bacon cheese Burger

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jayb, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I am getting close to having my first cinema setup and I am very excited. Purchases so far are a 32ZD26P (Turning up tomorrow from JL) and a Tosh 520E (RS). I have decided on a Yamaha RX630RDS, RS are out of stock at £320 so any suggestions would be welcome.

My dilemma is which speakers to suit?

My budget is about £400 so before you recommend the Kef's they are too expensive and did I mention they have to be wife friendly. So, if I give you my thoughts and experiences so far hopefully you guys or galls can give me some direction, as I just seem to be going round in circles :confused:

FS2 - saw these at RS for £350 and they seemed wife friendly, a little unsure of the technology so scanned the forums. They get mixed reviews, some people say no mid range others say they are spot on. I was pretty sure I would be buying these

FS1 - Up to date version of the above look spot on again mixed reviews. Actually e-mailed mission and they recommended these over the FS2 if I was going to use them for music. These then moved into poll position

Elac Cinema 1 - came across these today after a demo of the FS1’s. The shop assistant recommended these instead of FS1’s . First impressions were very good, clear sound, I seemed to be able to hear more detail in the speech compared to the FS1’s (is that mid range?...sorry I’m a newbie) Not sure if this had anything to do with the amp. The FS1’s were powered by a Denon and the Elacs by the Yam 630. As for the forums generally good reviews, but there are a few who have chosen the FS1's over these. Moved into Joint poll position.

Elac Cinema 2 - updated version of the above haven’t heard these but the forum again gives mixed reviews when comparing these to the Elac 1's

Elac Cinema XL - Same as above but with a better centre speaker prefer the look of XL centre it is available as a separate but wonder if it would be matched to the 1's

XL Bacon Double Cheese Burger - PURFECT :D (if only home cinema was this simple)

With every thread I read my choice seems to change, FS2’s….no FS1’s………no Elac……..FS1…..Cheese burger………:eek: So this is my final attempt at getting some closure on the subject.

Any input is much appreciated :smashin:

2. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Which sounds best to you ?

They are the one's for you then !

Does it really matter to you what other people think about your choices of other things - its ultimately down to you..look at me.. I've got a set of Mission m5 series speakers..and 90% of this forum slated them..but only about 15% have actually listened to them..:rolleyes:, but I like 'em, and thats all that matters to me, cos I have to live with them. :p

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like that thread title. Good work Jayb :smashin:

4. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JayB

I have to FS2's and I'm really pleased with them. This is my first cinema surround setup and at the moment I think they are spot on :smashin: Also my girlie likes them (had to get girlie friendly ones) and setting them up was so simple (I wall mounted them) The sound on them when I'm watching movies is good and ample for the room I have. I've had them up to 22db and they still sounded good.

For the price, sound and asthetics I would highly recommend them. :clap:

Hope this helps.

Off for a cheese burger now :D

5. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LDR

If only life were that easy...:rolleyes: . I know you are right and the final decision will be down to me, however there is a vast amount of knowledge among the forum folk (I think they’re a tribe in LOTR) and hopefully some of that will rub off on me. A few weeks ago I was going down the route of the DAV880, now again mixed reviews on the forums but an overwhelming lean towards separates. Hence the route I am now taking. By reading the forums it also gave me enough knowledge to ask some of the right questions and armed me with a bit of a bull**** meter when talking to the retailer. I'm sure you'll agree to visit a retailer without any idea of what’s good or bad or a bit of both, would be very dangerous as the salesman will try to sell you what ever he has in stock or whatever he gets the best margins on (I know I'm a salesman.....:devil: ) One final point, it is difficult to demo all of the speaker options paired with all of the amp options so if I read an overwhelming majority that say the Denan sounds naf paired with the FS2's then I will probably give that combi a miss and concentrate on something better.

Juboy thanks

SGT Colon

Thanks for your input; originally they were top of the list until I had the reply from mission saying go for the FS1’s I play 50/50 music and DVD’s. I will be having another demo of these paired with the yam before I decide

6. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jayb,

I had a set of Mission FS1's connected to a Yamaha 630. I returned the FS1's because the sub buzzed. I was offered a new set of FS1's but declined. I wasn't won over by the sound. The sat speakers depend too much on the sub.

To cut a long story short I ended up buying the Elac 2's (didn't listen to the 1's) after demo'ing them against the Mordaunt Short Premiers. There wasn't too much between those two but managed to get the Elac's at a good price (£350) which swung it for me.

The Elac's sound great with movies and are good with music (not as good as movies) as long as you turn down the sub volume slightly. I found unless you turn down the sub volume the bass is too heavy, for me anyway, but I also found that with the FS1's.

7. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Jayb,

I have FS1's and to me they sounds great although I haven't driven them for long (less than 10hours), no buzzing sub here though, and they are gorgeous and it has a good design for the price.

If you want wife friendly and (they have got a few 4stars in UK mags) check out Jamo.

http://www.jamo.dk/consumer/products/products_add.php3?id=A+4ADD
    (probably a bit expensive at around £650 at http://www.soundshopping.co.uk/)

"Leading American magazine - Audio Video Interiors - chooses the Jamo A 410PDD concept system as winner of the prestigious "Excellence in Design Award - 2002".

The American magazine Electronic House chose the Jamo A 410PDD concept system as one of its "Products of the Year 2002". A European design and slim profile made the A 410PDD speaker system an easy pick. Even the subwoofer, which is traditionally big and boxy, has been painstakingly designed. It is slim enough to fit under a sofa, and is attractive enough to hang on the wall. Lest we forget its true mission - it sounds great."

CES Innovation Award 2002
    Electronic House - Product of the Year 2002

Positive reviews from US mags
    - Sound & Vision, May 2002
    - Audio Video Interiors, October 2002,
    - Home Theater, April 2002

http://www.jamo.dk/consumer/products/products_add.php3?id=A+210ADD (should be a bit cheaper http://www.soundshopping.co.uk/ have it for £400)

Again, the first UK av mag that just reviewed it gave it 4stars and was impressed that you can hide the sub under the sofa!!!) If I knew this was coming out, then I might have gone for this one. Discretion in a contemporary home is key.

Also this "Danish speaker manufacturer Jamo today received the prestigious "Showcase"-award at CES 2003 - the worlds largest consumer electronics show. Among the many contestants Jamo’s Lifestyle system, A 210PDD was chosen as the very best example of a contemporary design aimed specifically at the demanding female consumer segment."

Wasabi

8. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Yamaha 630, Mission FS2s and a Toshiba TV.

I have reviews of them on my site, but the crappy web host seems incapable of keeping the site up for more than a day at a time :(

Also details of where I bought (cheaply and with verying levels fo service).

Still, try it later today and it may be there...

(My old site is at http://myhomecinema.freeservers.com has them but also has popups - be warned).

9. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wisdom you seek lies here

10. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    To SimonG and all other forum members that have a Yammy 630 or have inserted opinions on it. I have no doubt that it is a superb receiver, however I just would like to know if it is correct to believe that it is DTS-ES compatible (it would need an external processor to identify the signal), but it has not a decoder itself for this signal. Their pdf- spec sheet, which can be found on their website http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/downloads/spec_homecinema.asp seems to confirm this.

Is that correct???

Many thanks,

Wasabi

12. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS ES (not discrete), Dolby Digital EX. Incidentally, its' Matrix 6.1 that creates 6.1 from a 5.1 soundtrack works extremely well. Worth trying out a demo fo it. I have no room for a rear speaker, so it is jammed up next to the settee and used at a lower volume level and it still adds a lot of atmosphere.

Two rear speaker, set back a metre or two must be fantastic.

13. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SimonG

I see you use Van Damme connection leads. Is that cos they kick ass? :laugh:

14. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Yep, not because they were cheap, or pretty. Oh no, no siree.

The only drawback with them is that the first one or two films are watchable and then they disappear up their own...!!:eek:

15. Ade

Ade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jayb

Being a newbie myself, I understand your dilemma.
    I've just bought my first Home Cinema setup to go with my Tosh TV & DVD. I bought Marantz SR4300 receiver & Elac Cinema 1 sub/sat speakers.

I auditioned the FS1s but wasn't too impressed with the music although the 5.1 was very good. That didn't really put me off though, cos I only use it about 10% for music. Maybe demo'ing stereo floorstanders with a friend at the same shop also showed the difference between 'proper' stereo speakers & sub/sat systems.

Then I heard the Elac Cinema 1s, and was very impressed so that's what I ended up buying. I was going to get the Elac Cinema 2s but read many reviews/opinions stating not really worth the extra (some even recommended the Cinema 1 over the Cinema 2!). The Elac 1s can be bought for only £323 from Proaudiosystems.
    Wifey likes them but I only showed her the sats beforehand so she didn't appreciate the sub ("what the hell's that big ugly speaker doing there") but actually quite small.
    They took a bit of getting used to, but now they're run in and I've played with the sub settings it now sounds superb.

My other consideration was Also, the FS1s were only 5.1 (sats have to plug into sub) and my receiver can process 6.1 so the Elacs allow me to buy the extra sat. I haven't bought a 6th sat yet, so like you I'm wondering how good the Elac XL Centre would sound - so any opinions would be welcome!

Marantz SR4300 receiver £280 @ Hifistore.co.uk
    Elac Cinema 1 £350 (extra sat approx £45) @ Hifistore.co.uk

16. saint_simon

saint_simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get the mission fs1 system in BENTALLS DEPARTMENT STORE IN EITHER KINGSTON OR BRACKNELL FOR AN AMAZING £299 instead of £450 rrp. Be Quick:clap: :clap:

17. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went out with the missus armed with my LOTR dvd and Jamiroquai-Funk odyssey CD, I had pre arranged auditions of the Elac's and FS1's twined with the Yam 630, although sound reproduction had to be good, just as importantly they had to win the missus over.

First stop superfi. They didn't do the Elac’s but I trusted them to do the fs1's justice. We both sat on the sofa as LOTR loaded up, the opening sequence offered a good all-round workout, plenty of Dialogue, roar of the orcs, the rumble of mount doom and the swishes of the arrows and swords. IMO they sounded excellent. and the missus immediately liked the looks. Next in Jamiroquai, the 630 was switched to DP2, I waited with baited breath as from some reviews I had read this is were they fall down. I was pleasantly surprised as again to my newbie ears they sounded very good.

So scores on the doors.......:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

Next up local Hifi dealer. Again the Elac's impressed with both DVD and CD although I thought the FS1's had the edge musically, and as for looks the missus commented straight away that they didn't cut it against the FS1,s. I did listen to the FS1's back to back with the Elac's and although the Elac’s did sound better at this demo, the FS1,s didn't sound any were near as good as the demo at Superfi.

Scores on the doors..........:smashin: :smashin: :thumbsdow

There seems to be a real split when it comes down to the FS1's but IMO the sound quality when compared to the Elac’s wasn't different enough for the compromise on the looks, so on the day the FS1's were triumphant.

I went straight back to Superfi who did me the RXV630RDSTI and FS1 package for £680. (I didn't read the last thread until after......:( )

So far I am very happy with my purchases, 32ZD26P, Tosh 520, Yam 630 and FS1’s. When I have everything up and running together I will give you my overall verdict.

Many thanks for all your input.......:smashin:

18. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and just for the record XL bacon double cheese burger still No.1......:D

19. LDR

LDR

Products Owned: