Frustrations with Android TV on Sony and others

garethsnaim

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I am new here so hi.

As a bit of context I have for a long while been running what I think was somewhat high up in Sonys food chain for TVs a Barvia KDL-55W905A, along with what I believe was relitvely high up surround processor a pioneer Sc-LX87. Both have provided stirling service over the year s for the most part being fed by a Shield TV

However progress marches on so this past month I decided to 'upgrade' to a 4k tv and amp that supports atmos and 4k passthrough etc.

Now in fairness i picked up the old stuff for cheap and this time round I did the same.

I have got myself a Sony Bravia 55BZ35F and Marantz NR1607. The bravia is a 'professional tv'.

I am having every kind of issue and I guess this is a bit of a rant but hopefully someone can help.

Firstly the shield pro. Basically it has fallen over in this scenario. Was fine for the 1080 set up but in 4K it cannot pass HDR content from youtube (goole being dks I believe) and when playing 4k content from plex there is a 50 50 chance it will have a weired liney/blurry effect on the right hand side about a 5th of the picture. Restarting it can help but not always.

So I though screw it I will get the latest appleTV 4k. No blurry issue which is great, but if you want HDR content to play you have to have syncronise frame rate turned on, but if you have that turned on you get massive audio lag, with no way to adjust it. That went straigh back.

So i thought, I'll just use sonys inbuilt android, it looks like sheild tv so we are all good.

Its just terrible:
  • Netflix says its not compatible with a -14 error
  • HDR content played from netflix is all washed out
  • the settings for the TV are beyond basic, I cannot even find a way to pass audio through to the marantz.
  • All audio is therefore being processed by the tv and being served as at best dolby surround. (connection is high speed HDMI in ARC)
  • sometimes hdr content will not be recognised as such and the only way to fix is restart the sony tv
  • I find I have to restart the sony frequently.
I tried to delve into tthe professional side of things with the tv but once you enter it you cannot even open the settings menu. sigh.

Can I just check that the only way to adjust the sony is through the android software? This is what has thrown me, the android is not an 'input' persay but the TV itself, which is seriously confusing my harmony software as well to set up the remote.

Well anyway, I rambled, so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it, at the moment I am tempted to put the old tv back in!

On the upside when it all works its stunning, avatar in HDR is something else!

I am more than happy to delve into the dark side, I have various PC bits and bobs so would build a HTPC if it will help matters in anyway.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom