Frustrating

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by AV Monkey, Jul 22, 2018.

1. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Mmmm. Just sat and read the 2018 panasonic line up thread. Very interesting and leaves me straight back at square one. So it's either buy the Sony 65inch fx9000 or pay an extra several hundred quid for an oled or compromise on tv size and go down to a 55inch oled in budget. But not be able to appreciate it due to viewing distance anyway. Round and round in circles I give up.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    I went the LCD vs OLED route and don't regret it. You could always wait for OLED prices to drop. They are still v expensive at 65" compared to LCDs.

You won't be disappointed if you buy now whichever way you go. I'd say go for the Sony XF9005 when its reduced a bit more at a larger size if you want to get the most from the highest quality sources and go for an OLED if you care more about overall picture quality with all sources.

3. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Does that mean you went Oled.

4. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    What if I went 55" I could afford oled at that size. But im nearly 4 metres away. Would it be pointless? Is 65" the absolute minimum I should be looking at?
    Would an inferior 65" led tv be good enough taking into account viewing distance?

5. Angelo M

Angelo M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I believe that for that distance even a 65" TV may be too small.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yes according to my research 4k would make no difference at my distance. But sits within 1080p distance.
    Based on this I should look at the best 65" tv for 1080p. But is an oled still the best option at 1080p? Or is an lcd best?

7. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    They’ll be pretty similar upscaling HD sources. OLED is more sympathetic to sources below HD.

HDR is not distance dependant, 4K is. XF is a good set, but think some OLEDs are not far off now (B7, C7)

If you can wait, then Q9FN or Q8DN will come down in 8/9 months.

8. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Seems to me the whole industry is not providing for a large proportion of customers like me. Why are they not providing more HD sets. How many people just spent £2500-4000 on 65 or 70" tvs not to mention upgrading internet and subscriptions to 4k but can't even see it in a slightly larger room? Are we all sat in 2.5 metre rooms?

So my search is narrowed to a good uhd tv 65" something.

9. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,309
  10. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Is this post on another thread worth taking into account? As we would be watching sd and hd 99% of the time for a while yet. Although I would like to upgrade our internet and subscribe to Netflix in the near future. Here's the quote.

"Yes and no.
    Viewing distance graphs are based on perfect sources.

If you are watching broadcast TV, a lot of what is sent to our screens via, cable, satellite or old fashioned aerial is compressed or not true 1080p. Therefore a 4k broadcast will look better than a HD one in most cases if you are sitting a bit further away than the charts suggest. A common comment with new UHD owners who sit on or just outside the recommended viewing distances is, that broadcast or streamed 4K content looks good, like a blu-ray.

HDR is not viewing distance related, so HDR broadcasts will look better regardless of distance."

If all you watch are blu-rays or very high quality 1080p sources (non broadcast) then you will miss the benefits. However, most of don't, so go for it.

11. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Viewing distant chart tells me 95inch minimum at 3.7metre which is about where we sit. Lol whatever.
    So now I'm thinking get a descent LCD 65". Anything bigger is just going to be two big for our room/wall. As I can see the difference between sd and 1080 on our 46inch panny plasma i think it would be a good upgrade to that size for 1080. Sd should still look ok also because of the distance being on the limit.
    So all the info I've read on the panasonic 2018 new models thread concerning outright blacks performance and outright 4k and uhd performance will dimish because of the same reason.
    So I'm back to getting as big as I can, probably a midrange led from panasonic Samsung or even hi sense?
    I may at least see a step up when I get the Netflix and try uhd?
    So even if it doesn't do perfect 4k uhd as long as I see a descent increase in picture quality for £1000 I will probably be happy. Bottom line I can't ever really fully enjoy 4k anyway. Unless i sit in the middle of the room which obviously is an option when I'm viewing on my own which isn't very often.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Sorry I meant "I went the LCD route" but missed the route out.

You do view very far from the TV for UHD standards, at 4m away I wouldn't even worry too much about upscaling looking poor...even on a 65".

Don't worry too much for the charts, just don't expect to see much of an upgrade with UHD sources at that distance. There will be other reasons for an upgrade and gains in picture quality with higher quality sources whether they are UHD or not to be found elsewhere. There will probably be some things you may think your old TV does better but a new TV should more than make up for it in other areas.

Be shrewd therefore at spending money on UHD sources without HDR because your gains will be minimal. There can be good and bad UHD masters, the best even if you are too far to notice a difference between FHD and UHD will still look good because they are just good masters/sources.

And remember that UHD is just a resolution like FHD and HD. There are FHD TVs that can look better than UHD TVs and there are HD TVs that can look better than FHD. Its mostly irrelevant now of course since all higher end TVs are UHD now.

13. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Thought that’s the route you took Dodgexander just needed to be sure.

14. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just been over to richersounds. Had a good long chat with one of the guys. Talked about everything. He was very patient with the level of detail i went into and understand every question i had and basically agreed. Although he was a little more sceptical of the distance graph advice. He didn't rubbish It but just basically said don't let it talk you into a much lesser quality tv. He said hi sense are good at what they do for the price but said there's better. He reccomended the Sony if I had to stay with LCD. Definitely don't go smaller that 65inch. Still consider qled and oled. He also reccomended an LG lcd they had on display. It's this year's said its far better than last year's LG tv's for motion . It's an 8 series £1800 and he said he's been messing around with it in the shop and is quite surprised with its
    picture. He said if you have to go cheaper there's a 2017 LG now greatly reduced £1300 model number js8300 or something!? Only one that stands out from last year for him it was top of the range last year.
    Basically if you don't want to see backlight coming through and better screen uniformity don't buy anything less than a fald. Or go oled.

15. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Currys are offering money off the panasonic fx750. The one with the top end processor. What are the Samsung 8 series like? I think this Is the price point I'm going to end up buying at. Then again I might have a few beers and just suddenly order an lgb7 on o% finance. Lol.

16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Do you want an IPS or VA display? IPS has wider viewing angles but worse contrast, blacks screen uniformity.

VA narrower viewing angles but better contrast, blacks and a more uniform screen.

All LGs are IPS
    All 2018 panasonic's like the FX series are IPS.
    Hisense are VA. Samsung 8 series VA.

In general its a bad idea to consider 2018 models as they tend to be overpriced.

My advice would be to narrow your budget somewhat, Samsung 8 series will be alot more expensive than Hisense and not much better, for example.

re the salesman, the new LG SK8500 and SK9000 are an improvement, slightly. The SK8000 isn't really any different from last year. LGs LCDs at £1300 are still very overpriced even for a 2017 model.

So, first decide on a strict budget.
    Second what panel type you want.

It should get you closer to the model you want to go for.

Processor talk is largely irrelevant, do not think that x tv is worth it over y because of a processor. Chances are they are just as good as each other and use the same hardware. The processor talk just refers to the software that they run for their own picture processing. All picture processing, even newcomers like Hisense is good now.

17. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks Dodgexander and everyone who joined the discussion. I knew this was the right place to come back to for that technical insite I always seek on new AV.
    Viewing angle? Our living room is a rectangle approx 4mtres by 3mtrs. we sit one end tv the other(so we have a good square on 5.1setup). On one side wall we have a 2seater sometimes viewed from not often or for very long. So IPS vs VA im not sure. I guess id go VA. But I take it oled has no such problems? What if I suddenly found an extra £300.

18. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    If you could go for an oled then it will give you the best overall picture quality without the viewing angle restrictions yes. People have been picking up the lg oleds for as little as £1200 right now at 55" and £2000 at 65" so now is the cheapest time there's ever been to buy an oled. Not to mention even the electriQ oled reviewed recently at £900.

19. ristac

ristac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    A few years ago we purchased a Samsung 1080p 3D TV loved it but the apps never worked, it did our heads in. We later upgraded to a Panasonic 680 as I couldn’t justify spending the extra on an OLED.

My daughter brought a 2016 LG OLED and it blows me away every time I see it. I can go into Curry’s or and TV retailer and nothing to me compares to OLED. I decided not to compromise ever again, pick out the next TV I want and save for it.

Birthdays, Christmas, I ask loved ones just to give me money and it all goes into my TV Fund.

I’ve just enough now to get the B7 55” but my heart is telling me I really want the C8 so I’m waiting and still saving. At some point the price will drop as my savings increase and the two points will meet and I’ll take the plunge.

My advice would be don’t compromise, pick out the one you really want, keep saving for it and keep watching the price drops.

20. BobTheViewer

BobTheViewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    JL/RS 5/6 year warranty £2k is £7.70pw/£6.41pw that's not bad value entertainment.

Can you review your room layout there is no need to have seats up against the walls in larger rooms.

21. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi. Re room layout. Unfortunately to move the viewing couch closer blocks the living room door. We could go around 90degrees but that puts tv over fire place. Ive never agreed with haveing a tv so high cant beleive people started doing it. Lol.
    Shrewd is a good word Dodgexander. If I decided to go the lcd route. Id be looking at getting a high end one with big discount. Va vs ips panel. How far off viewing angle can you get with the va?

22. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Lots of good view points here, thanks everyone. So in theory if I have to go ips if I can find the brightest model. I might have the best compromise?

23. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    No-one on these forums will tell you to go IPS. It's VA or the highway! :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  24. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Lol o ok. Why the hell has panasonic decided to go all out with ips for god sake? Are their 2017 lcds all va?

25. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    There seems to be less and less 2017 models available. But I can see some 2018 already being discounted hundreds.

26. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    Any chance of you waiting for potential Black Friday deals? That's when I intend to get my new 65" TV.

27. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Because they are idiots!

IPS is okay for all but critical watching, for normal TV with the lights on its okay.

But when OLEDs get so cheap now, there is little reason to get one just for vieiwng angles because there are so many trade offs with IPS TVs in other areas.

28. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    John Lewis. The sony £1800 now.

29. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Not bad but for £200 more there are the oleds. Also will be down to £1500 Spring/summer next year.

30. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    O god next year? That'll test anyone's patients lol. I can only see the b7 for like £2200. Where's it £2000. If I can get it 0% over18 or 24 months I might have to. Hi sense uka7 only a grand gets good reviews? :)