Frustrating aerial

split decision

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi cleverer people than me,
I've recently moved into a new house which I am renovating, part of the renovation is to rewire the house completely as there is no earth in the cabling at present! Also one of the very first things I did was to replace the tv aerial and cable into the house as the previous owner used sky. This worked absolutely perfectly with full strength signal for about a month until I started on the rewire. Since then the signal is up and down like crazy, I also have problems with my ps3 freezing and Internet speed varying wildly, not sure if these are related

split decision said:
Hi cleverer people than me,
I've recently moved into a new house which I am renovating, part of the renovation is to rewire the house completely as there is no earth in the cabling at present! Also one of the very first things I did was to replace the tv aerial and cable into the house as the previous owner used sky. This worked absolutely perfectly with full strength signal for about a month until I started on the rewire. Since then the signal is up and down like crazy, I also have problems with my ps3 freezing and Internet speed varying wildly, not sure if these are related

My question is will having no earth, apart from being lethal, cause problems with electrical gremlins?

Ps. Sorry about the broken thread my wife grabbed the phone from me!

I really cannot see how your various problems are inter-related. Having no earth in the mains electrical system may be causing problems, and in any case is dangerous. Your present 'non-earthed' connections may be causing problems in the loop from one device to another. I would advise you to have your system checked by a professional electrician. Should you ever make any insurance claims on mains related damage to equipment or property then they will probably be deemed invalid because your system is not up to standard.

Changes in internet speeds and freeview reception are probably separate problems.

Last edited:
This looks as though it may be the old classic problem of HDMI lead interfering with incoming UHF.

Try a different HDMI lead and keep the RF and HDMI leads as separate as possible.

Thanks for the replies,
Mike7, I agree that the problems with internet and ps3 are probably totally unrelated, just coincidence, I know the no earth situation is extremely dangerous which is why I am rewiring the house as I renovate, (I am trained as an electrician as part of my training as an alarm engineer but do not have part p so will be getting a qualified electrician to do the final commissioning.) I probably didn't word the question very well as I was more wondering wether things like induced ac on the low voltage circuit may be the cause of the problems, probably also should have mentioned in the original post that I have checked aerial and cabling again since the problem started.
Gavtech, thanks for the advice I will check this when I get home.

Thanks for the replies,
Mike7, I agree that the problems with internet and ps3 are probably totally unrelated, just coincidence, I know the no earth situation is extremely dangerous which is why I am rewiring the house as I renovate, (I am trained as an electrician as part of my training as an alarm engineer but do not have part p so will be getting a qualified electrician to do the final commissioning.) I probably didn't word the question very well as I was more wondering wether things like induced ac on the low voltage circuit may be the cause of the problems, probably also should have mentioned in the original post that I have checked aerial and cabling again since the problem started.
Gavtech, thanks for the advice I will check this when I get home.

If you have used satellite quality (double screened basically) cables, you should have no problems.

You might also like to consider running cables to other parts of the house like the bedrooms or kitchen, in the same trunking as the AC but obviously terminating in a TV outlet box. Allowing a bit of extra cabling and installing an AC outlet in the roof will allow you to cut the main feed and add a distributer at a later date (if and when you decide to install TVs in those rooms) Will save an awful lot of hassle compared to retro fitting and you might as well do it now given the major job you are undertaking.

ps Remember to bring the rooms' cables to a location where it will be easy to fix the distributer and label each one with the room it serves.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the excellent advice, I must admit I hadn't thought about future expansion, although being a dormer bungalow, wiring for upstairs, (the only part I haven't planned out yet), should be pretty straight forward. If avoidable I am a little reluctant to add an amplifier as my previous experience with one was that it amplified the bad signal as well as the good, I am talking about a long time ago though in analogue days. Are amplifiers better with digital signals?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom