Fruit, completely good or a bit bad

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by KyleS1, Aug 20, 2012.

1. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    So I know you need 5 a day or fruit and veg, and most should be made up of veg, but fruit is much easier to get more of.
    So, this leads me on to, is too much fruit bad? I know you should limit citrus fruits due to high amounts of sugar, but what is a bad amount to eat? Are there any fruits that are completely good, and you can pretty much eat as much as you like, and on the other end of the scale, are there some that you really should avoid?

2. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    I think the sugars in all fruits mean they are a bit bad, to use your phrase. I think this is a particular problem with home-made smoothies - it's very easy to go overboard sugar-wise.

Having said that, I guess it's better to get your sugar intake from fruit, rather than a Mars bar ;)

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,579
    Assuming you are talking about weight, you would have to be eating huge amounts as fruit is a low calorie density food (with some exceptions, e.g. avocado)

4. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    I guess for weight, but more specifically over consuming sugars.

5. Elrond

Elrond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    I would be more concerned about the sugar as it can be quite high. I got a fruit smoothie for lunch once in Sainsburys meal deal and while sitting at my desk I noticed that the sugar contents were somewhere between 40-50% of the RDA. Plain apple juice was just as bad at around 35% I think and that's because the sugars occur naturally in fruit.

On a side note, I dread to think what the sweet and sour chicken balls I had for dinner did for my daily sugar intake after I noticed the RDA on the apple juice I had drunk earlier in the day :rolleyes:

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,579
    Fruit is still a low and natural source of fructose compared to the quantities in pre-packaged food

In terms of moderation I apply common sense

7. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Depends what you're looking to achieve. Most people are overweight because they eat loads of crap. Chocolate, pies, fried food etc. It's defo not caused by eating too much fruit.

In fact, if most people swapped off their crappy food for fruit, they would not be overweight.

However, if you want to go beyond just being a healthy weight, and achieve a very low % body fat, then the amount of fruit you eat does start to be something to watch.

In terms of which things are better than others, berries in all forms, melon and other things are high water.

8. YankTank

YankTank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    12 ounces of >>>>>>> Coca-Cola Orange Juice Apple Juice Cherry Juice Grape Juice
    Total carbohydrates 40 g 39 g 42 g 49.5 g 60 g
    Carbs from sugar 40 g 33 g 39 g 37.5 g 58.5 g
    Sugar (teaspoons) 10 tsp 8 tsp 10 tsp 9 tsp 15 tsp
    Calories 145 165 165 210 240

I think the table makes interesting reading - OK, I appreciate the table talks about Juice, not whole fruit, and thus there is a significant difference in sugar content; I think anyone looking to reduce their weight definitely needs to be mindful as to how much fruit/what type of fruit they are consuming. Its also worth remembering that depending on if fruit is 'juice' or 'whole', will effect its GI - lower GI, slower release of energy - higher GI, faster release of energy and higher insulin reaction.

Sorry, table came out bad - but just track the columns along !

Often people say - 'well, we have been eating fruit just like this for years'...well, we haven't!....... for the most part. Fruit (and loads of other stuff) is nowadays considerably different, since growers have modified crops to make them, plumper, larger, juicier, sweeter etc etc......so its not the same ! Same as man has done with wheat/grain etc etc.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  9. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    I'm not necessarily looking to achieve anything really. Nothing that adding some cardio to my weekly activities wouldn't fix. I was more just curious as I eat a fair amount of fruit. On a typical day I will eat a banana, an apple and a couple of oranges (satsumas/clementines). I snack a lot throughout the day as I get a lot of boredom hunger (I would on a computer all day), so have always just snacked on fruit or a low fat yog, occasionally a few nuts, but the more reading I do, the more it suggests that eating too much fruit, even though it is obviously more healthy than crisps etc, can cause weight gain. Also the combination of the sugars in fruit, and carbs in other foods.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    Eat as much or little fruit as you want. Sugar doesn't bother me as there is much more benefits in the vitamins and minerals. If you want to stick to low sugar ones then eat berries. My favourites just happen to be the medium to high sugar ones - apples, bananas, pineapple.

With regards to fruit juice, have the ones without added sugar and low in calories (12 calories per glass). Tesco Light Choices do Cranberry, Cranberry and Raspberry, Orange, Apple.

11. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    I rarely drink juice, it's just fruit I was referring to really.

It appears I also like the fruits high in sugar. I didn't realise bananas were high in sugar though.

12. mpn

mpn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I have one pre gym banana every day. After that the only fruits I eat are blueberries and blackberries. However I tend not to worry too much with regards to sugar in fruits as its all natural.

13. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    My wallet won't allow for blueberries everyday. You get so little for so much cost, plus my daughter seems to inhale them at a rate of knots. If I started eating them daily too, I'd go broke! :)

14. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,898
    yeah, exactly, it's just the modern day supermarket that has allowed us to get say bananas in every village / town etc at any time of the year...think back to the 70s for example... and then times before that...

just my thoughts anyway :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  15. mpn

mpn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    89p for a 120g box from lidl ..... lovely too :smashin: same price for the blackberries.

16. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    and how far will 120g get you?
    Plus I don't shop at Lidl so would be an extra trip... :)

17. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    £1 for 125g blueberries from Iceland or on offer at Tesco/Morrison's. More than 125g and the go soggy before they are eaten.

125g can last a few days.

18. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    We do pick them up a lot in Tesco's for our daughter, and I do steal a fair few of them. I might try and supplement the apples/oranges for berries and see how the shopping bill looks at the end of the month. :)
    A tub that size would only last me 2 days I would imagine. 120g isn't much.

19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,330
    Run there :D

20. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    Time is of the essence! :)

21. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    pretty sure I read somewhere that the riper the nana the higher the sugar as well

I try to eat em greenish but not easy to stop them ripening in this weather

22. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    But when they are greenish, they are unripe and are starchy. The body has trouble breaking down starch - What Happens When I Eat An Unripe Banana? | LIVESTRONG.COM

But you are right about them ripening and having more sugar. The link above confirms that but says it is limited to certain species.

23. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    I ignore that. I can't eat green ones as they are too hard. I have a banana everyday. A decent size one will give 10% of the daily recommended amount of potassium.

24. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,330
    In contrast to that link others say this resistant starch is supposed to be good for you: eg: Why You Should Eat Green Bananas | Aviva.ca

Eat whichever you like I say :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  25. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    I like them somewhere in the middle. Nice and firm, but not hard, and defo not mushy - fnar fnar. :)

26. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,065
    I'm with you on this, the sugar in fruit is natural. you can grumble over everything you eat because it has this in or it doesn't have that :p

27. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,898
    I read that if you squeeze an unripened banana then that helps to break down some of the starches, and helps make it a bit softer...just watch out for the funny looks you may get :)

28. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,777
    So the breakdown of starch is a physical thing? Not something that happens over time within the fruit? So if I had an unripe banana and mashed it up, would it break down the starches to make it more like a ripe banana, or have I read what you just wrote wrong?

29. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,330
    I could well imagine that bruising the fruit releases some of the enzymes that normally convert the starch to sugar as it ripens.

So the physical action of bruising it stimulates an accelerated "pseudo-ripening".

Under normal circumstances you can't physically breakdown starch (unless you have a Hadron Collider or similar :))

30. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Fruit is very high in sugar. So if you are trying to watch your calories, be careful of fruit. If you are just looking for the nutritional benefits and watching your calories, just eat the peel!

That's why berries are supposedly better for you than say, apples. It's because they have a higher skin to mass ratio, being so small. The argument that because fruit is "natural" it is OK, is completely wrong. Chocolate, sugar and fat are natural too! Cutting down on all sources of sugar is helpful in reducing calories - whether that sugar comes from fruit, mars bars, or anything else.

We adore sugary foods, because we have evolved that way - our bodies know how much energy they contain, and it's just trying to keep us alive. Our bodies are much like furnaces that needing constant refuelling, otherwise we die. Fruits have evolved to be digested by animals like us - that's their sole purpose - to propagate seeds. So nature has made them a rich source energy for us. That's why we love fruit. And that's why we need to moderate our intake. It wasn't the snake that was tempting Eve to eat the apple, it was the tree!

Having said that, you should still eat fruit every day for the nutritional value. But you can't get away with eating as much fruit as you like - you need to control your calorie intake to lose weight.