1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fronts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bubbauk, May 17, 2005.

1. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I don't post here much but i read here time to time but now i'm in need of some advice on a choice.

At the minute i have a Marantz SR4500 setup with the Tannoy FX5.1 package which sounds great for music and movies but i would like a little more power from music, atm i can turn it up full to 0 and it will be loud but it will lack both bass and treble, also my subwoofer atm dosent go very low (Stated on manufactures website to only go to 45hz) so what i am looking for is a new set of front speakers, but i want them to be floorstanders that will also give me bass. Its coming up to the summer and will be pretty bored being off school so i will be listening to music alot and i have a good bit of money saved but only looking to spend around £200 but can stretch to £250 if need be.

Another thing is, is it wise to just upgrade my front speakers, will they dominate too much in films or is it easy enough to setup to sound alright for both music and films. I most likely wont upgrade my system for a long time so this isn't a start to upgrading but it is more of the upgrade for a long time.

So can anyone suggest any good quality Floorstanding front speakers to go with my amp and that will suit my needs.

For reference:

My amp:http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cf...t=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=3201&type=avr&series=comp
    My speakers:http://www.tannoy.com/FX5

2. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have had a look about and the Tannoy Fusion 4 look promising for £250 which seems good. Are these speakers good and will they still be as good without bi wiring because i dont have any spare speaker cable and dont really wanna stretch more to get it unless these speakers come with speaker cable.

3. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have also just nocied the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 for slightly more which im willing to stretch for aswell if you can comment on these 2 speakers i have suggested but also keeping to what i originally posted as to wether this is a good idea or not.

4. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone help me please?

5. mhifoe

mhifoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think front speakers are an excellent choice to improve your system, especially given your budget. Your other kit is good but as you say the tiny satellites are not very good at reproducing music, especially in the midrange.

The only problem I can see is with how well the centre fits in with the new speakers. It may be worth setting your amp to send the centre speaker output to the fronts. Note that this will cause problems if you sit significantly to the side of the TV.

Speaker wise the acoustic energy will sound excellent, but I am slightly biased as I have owned AE speakers for many years. Check other threads for recomendations of speakers given your budget. If possible try and demo some of your possible purchases at a good HiFi shop.

6. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well i have been speaking to other people and they have came to the conclusion that they will dominate the centre, so what i was thinking was i can go for the tannoy fusion 4 and it will leave me with enough money for a centre speaker aswell.

I priced it up and it came to £320 for the Tannoy Fusion 4 and the Tannoy Fusion Centre but where i was looking at were telling me it would be £65 for delivery so i have emailed them regarding this so hopefully it will cost me around £350, its more than i would like to spend but i have the money and nothing else to spend it on.

I am also going to go to my local richer sounds this weekend and see if i can get these speakers for the same price which would save me on delivery and ill see if they will allow me to return them if i am not satisfied with them so ill see how they perform in my room.

Cheers for the help.

7. yaki_daikon

yaki_daikon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that they used to, but I am pretty sure that Richer Sounds don't sell Tannoy stuff at the moment. I could be wrong. Good luck there anyway....

I have been looking at Tannoy stuff too and thought I would let you know the prices I have found:

---------------------------------------------
    Tannoy Fusion 4 Loudspeakers
    £241.96

Tannoy Fusion C Centre Speaker
    £69.99

Delivery
    £15.98

Total: £327.90 from Unbeatable
    Tannoy Fusion 4 Loudspeakers
    £269.90 Inc VAT @ 17.5% p+p to mainland UK

Tannoy Fusion C Centre Speaker
    £74.90 Inc VAT @ 17.5% p+p to mainland UK

Total: £344.80 from hifisuppliers

Have fun this summer then !

8. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow thanks yaki_daikon, i think you may have just saved me £20, was looking to pay £350 inc delivery cheers :) Although that delivery is most likely not to northern ireland but ill check it anyway :)

9. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went into town today and went into a hifi shop, cheapest floorstanders they did were £400 so i said its a bit high, he then showed me these second hand linn kabers (i *think* thats what they are i only seen them briefly but from googling it seems to be these). Now he has said they may go for £300 but he hasnt got a price yet, he is gonna phone me tomorow, so what i am asking is what sort of price do you think they would go for and are they actually any good? I was also looking a centre speaker but they were a bit pricey aswell, but he said he had a spare bookshelf speaker sitting somewhere that the other one was broke from it, he said they were good but cant remember the name, if they are in my price range i will prob go demo them on saturday and prob purchase them the same day if i like them.

Basically what im asking is are linn kaber good and are they worth £300? and also will a bookshelf speaker work ok as a cente speaker if it has a good frequenzy response?

10. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    anything with the name "linn" on it is guaranteed to be good imo. They retail for £800 i think, so £300 would be a very good deal, they look like my dad's keilidhs if they sound anything like them you will be one happy boy this summer!

11. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep im hoping that :D. But ill see what price he quotes me tomorow, ill post back with the make and model and price he has quoted me tomorow to see what you all think about it.

12. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, they didnt ring me and i dont have their contact details so i take it they dont want me to buy the speakers, so ill just go with the Tannoy Fusion 4 and Tannoy Fusion Centre speaker.

Cheers for all the help.