Fronts - speaker placement.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sessen Ryu, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I'm having a false wall installed to make my 65" tv look flush. The bracket holding the tv is around 4 inches, and the tv 2, so the wall will jut out about 6 inches from the 16 foot wall. Just underneath the tv I plan to have a square hole in the wall with a protruding glass shelf which will hold the centre speaker.

I plan on housing the amp, players etc in an AV cabinet in the corner of the room.

My original idea was to have the false wall only about 5 inches wider than the tv at each side, so the false wall will be like a chimley breast thing in the middle of the wall. I was going to put my Front L & R speakers on stands either side of this "chimley breast". I thought that this would give me flexibility in terms of speaker position.

I am wondering whether I should make some square holes with protruding glass shelves to house the front left and right also? Not sure how neat that would look, - but also, it would restrict speaker placement?

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts - or points that I hadn't considered? I've never done the false wall thing before.

Thanks

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Speakers will not sound their best on a shelf (even a centre) and nor will they sound good if they are within the wall (either paritally or fully).
    Personally I would look to get some speaker brackets and mount them to the floating wall (with the wall suitably strengthened in the parts the speakers will be fitted, i.e. put a wooden support to the floor where the speaker will be).

3. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks. I can understand ported speakers being affected by wall proximity, but how does wall proximity, or being partly inside (probably a 1/4) a wall effect the sound?

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Even a sealed speaker will have a reasonable amount of sound going out the back (and sides) of the cabinet. This will interact with the cavity and affect sound quality.