1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front vs rear projection

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Towy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Towy

Towy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have followed with great interest all the posts regarding dlp tv's and was pretty much up for a Samsung 56" (no surprise there), however a possibly imminent house move may give me the opportunity to set up a much larger cinema room. My question is will a front projector and screen give as good a pq as the Sammy- apologies here as I have looked at the appropriate section but cannot yet make head nor tail of it (I've followed this section for quite a while now and am just about getting to grips with it). Is dlp still the way to go in this format? I would appreciate a gentle push in the right direction :)

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where would you even buy the 56 Inch Samsung, NO store in the whole of the United Kingdom has one yet!

3. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it will....easily as good..........but you'll need a high quality front projector and a pull down screen......some screens come down automatically...you just press a remote control..screens come in various sizes, they're quite cheap and up to about roughly 9ft across.

a front projector operates at a high temperature and can have quite a noisy fan......they range from about 400 to 1500 quid....they look damned good mounted on the ceiling

4. Towy

Towy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    double the size- sounds good, just have to turn up the sound to cover the fan noise. I am assuming dlp projection not lcd or crt

5. Towy

Towy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In anticipation!

6. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Its a bit apples-and-pears. I have both (The projector came with work). I used the projector in the past for the lads to play PC or PS games on a wall when they have a gang around or the odd holiday snaps and videos for the familiy (only - honest!) but these days the 56" TV does it all. There is no doubt that unless you can pay c£5-8000 in total (for the right projector (only a small number are of high quality to play HD or progressive pictures) the screen (to beat the sizes now available on tv you need a big/expensive one or a wall painted with special anti-reflection coating), blackouts because in normal daylight even the strongest projector will give a washed out look) and if you go the full hog, electronics to control the screen, lighting and blackout blinds).

Versus this, if you get a good 56" TV (such as the Sagem ;) ) or Razor's Optoma Behemoth you get no problems viewing in normal daylight, low noise, HD PQ via a million mirrors and all the interfaces and links to play games etc - all without running cables up through walls and dedicating the room layout to the screen.

On the other hand, if you can dedicate a room to the projector and are happy to run cables, fix up electronics, buy good quality screen and most especially a good projector (not all are as noisy as each other) the experience can be Cinema like and awesome!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Price/performance swings in favour of the TV for domestic viewing and the quality coming through this year swings this further in my opinion. The purists may prefer Front projectors and describe the Cinema experience but I have tried and for me at least, it involves a lot of hassle each time to set up and is very hard to get right.:thumbsdow

Cheers

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Dunsters :hiya:

Dunsters is right in what he says. :thumbsup:

If I could have a dedicted room for a front pro I would go down this route and have my RD65 in the lounge for every day use. :clap:

Front pros are excellent but you do need a dedicated room with black out blinds and and a fair bit of cash to obtain a decent setup.

DLP front pro - £3500-£6000
    Screen - £1000 -£ 2000 (Get the screen from the US you will save approx £1000 or more)
    Cabling - £200

Then you will have to set up your sound system.

DLP large screen display 56'-65' £2700 - £4000

I pesonally would have both set ups but thats me.

:D

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I've got both set ups. A press of a button and an 8ft 16:9 screen drops down in front of my Tosh52". Then I pull down my blackout blinds and switch on my Sanyo Z3. Fantastic! The whole front projection system, including cabling, screen and blinds (which I did most of myself) cost me about £2000.

Regards

Mark

9. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hay Mark!:cool:

I couldn't find a good 8ft 16:9 motorised screen under 750 (The Targa I looked at was 1100), let alone over 400 for blackout screens, over 250 for cables plus costs of running around/inside the walls, 110 for cheap ceiling bracket for the projector and even after all that for an all-in-one style remote station to control it all! Then the cost of the projector (which for me was 'not-a-lot'):confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheers

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I would recomend a screen by Da-Lite

A good quality screen is very important in producing a good quality picture. :thumbsup:

11. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I got my screen from this lot http://www.drhscreens.co.uk/index.html for about £400 as I recall. It's a slimline 240, the biggest one they do, which is about 103" in matte white (don't do a hi-gain in that size) and I had an extra 45cm of black added to the top so that the screen would drop that much lower. They threw that in for free, which was nice.

I bolted it to the ceiling with 6mm studding and aluminum extrusion bar I happened to have hanging about, which I screwed to the joists in the loft (I live in a bungalow). The electrics I did myself too, having got a 5amp, three way rocker switch (on-off-on) and mounted it in a standard single back box and blanking plate. Then ran it down the wall in mini-trunking to a plug top. Works a treat.

My original plan was to get a static screen direct from Carada, but getting the Tosh RPTV knackered that plan.

The blackouts came from Focus at a very reasonable £35 a piece. I needed two 48" wide by 60" drop ones. The trick to true blacking out with these is forming some sort of guide channels for them to run in down the sides and be held tight to the wall. For this I went to B&Q and bought several length of small plastic square U-channel at 99p a length. I then stuck it to the window frame with double-sided foam tape. The blinds now run in the channels and are about 99.9% light tight. The trickiest part is forming some sort of lightweight, light-tight pelmet to go over the top of the blinds, but that too can be sorted with a couple of bits of plastic right-angle from B&Q and some ingenuity. It all gets covered up by the curtains so doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it sounds.

I did find a couple of blind makers that do this sort of thing specifically for schools. But they appear to only want to supply education authorities, as they both completely ignored my emails asking for prices.

I guess having sorted my blackout and screen problems I'll start in on fitting filters to the Z3 that folks go on about in the projector forum. But in all honesty the standard settings fed by my Lumagen are fantastic as is. All I do it flick the lamp to low so the sound drops to all but inaudible and I'm away. Empire Leicester Square in my living room. I may never come out again. :)

Regards

Mark

12. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I run both in my living room and I find my 43" fullscreen toshiba rptv is great for watching everyday cable tv but I wind my £20 ikea blackout blind screen down and fire up my £550 epson tw10h front pro for a real cinema 80" diagonal treat in the evening :cool:
    my 44" lg dlp rptv is set up in my bedroom with a full surround sound system for when I'm feeling lazy :D
    speaking of which I've got to report that after a year of dlp I've started to see the odd rainbow !!! :eek:

13. Towy

Towy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Dunsters and Mark, as I have little time to spare at the moment (3 children under 6) I will probably go for the rear projection option as it sounds a bit of an ordeal getting every thing just right for the front pro, who knows what may happen in a year or two!