• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Front vs Down Firing

nheather

Distinguished Member
I have a modern house which has chipboard floor on rafters. The floor is covered in carpet.

Therefore, I assume I would be better off with a front-firing sub. Is this correct?

Cheers,

Nigel

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
The prevailing opinion is that there is no difference in performance. From what you describe you are possibly best placing the sub on a substantial (ie heavy) platform such as a slab of marble or paving slab...PJ

Harry T2

Established Member
Yes, a paving slab. It provides a means of determining whether mass loading has an improvement on the sound quality at minimal expense. If it does, then you can look at more aesthetically pleasing alternatives.

You could also try a slab on top of the sub.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Okay, point taken about the slab but that isn't going to fly.

So this adds another question to my original

(i) Given my current circumstances would I be better off with a front firing sub or will it make no difference
(ii) Given my current circumstances (there will be no slab but I can use spikes) am I just wasting my time

Cheers,

Nigel

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Wives usually like the aesthetics of the down firer - no speaker cone glaring at you. It's also more kid proof.

Hence I went for the FF. :devil:

Also, you can get isolation spikes which may work well. It will probably work well just as it is TBH....PJ

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom