1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hitz, Jan 8, 2002.

1. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got view on Mission M73 as 2 fronts speakers.

I went into richers sounds to enquire about eltax silverstone 200 and they suggested celestion F2 was alot better.

I would like floorstanders but they can be no higher than 80cm as i would like them to fit into a open stand cabinet.

my budget is no more than £200

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know which thread to reply to;

Is one for the left speaker and the other the right. :D

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Or does this mean you now have a budget of £400? ;)

4. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just reply to this one.

i accidentally send the thread twice.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just sold a pair on, only had them connected for a week was quite impressed with them.

Good with music and films.

Only problem i found was when they were set to large through the amp, and given a good run with quite high volume, the rear port took a total dislike to it. Set them to small and they were perfect.

Got mine from Richer Sounds £139.99 3days delivery. 7/10

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get smaller speakers (around 1 cubic foot), and a good subwoofer, you will be better off...

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lowrider, you might be better off... some of us prefer floorstanders as the basis for an AV setup, and would disagree. Some of us like to make our own minds up.

hitz may even prefer satellite speakers and a sub, but he asked for opinions, not directions.

8. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just come across eltax millenuim 150 on the website.
    has anyone got these speakers? and what are there view on this.
    these speakers are 750mm high - which is ideal in size - but does anyone know how they sound for music and movies.

anyone know the pricing on these - and if i can get them on line.

out of the three - eltax silverstone 200, celestion f20, eltax millenuim - which are better.

These are the only floorstanders i have found which are 80cm or lower in height.

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy Pointon,

I think we get payed to give our opinions here... Even those you don´t agree with... If HITZ new everything, like you, he wouldn´t bother asking for our opinions...

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I said, Hitz asked for opinions, and you may have one. However, the above is a direction, it's not an opinion, and isn't very helpful or constructive.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Be careful trying to enclose floorstanders as some only perform at their best with open space behind them.

12. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a pair of 150's over Christmas from Miller Brothers for £99.00 - http://www.qed-uk.com/ had them also but I just looked and they are now not listing them.

I love them, but then they are my first floorstanders and only had a pair of bookshelf speakers to compare them against.

I used them for films and for music listening and consider them excellent for the money - which by a lot of peoples standards here is small change.

They come with a length of fairly ordinary cable and can be connected using banana plugs (not supplied) or by the screw down method and the grills are removeable - which is a big improvement on their looks.

Just out of interest I also bought the Eltax 80 rears and Eltax centre - total cost of about £190 - a bargain for a first timer like me !

13. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You don't mention the rest of your set-up or are you pondering on these too?

I would recommend either the Mission 773e's for that price (can be found for £200) but unfortunately they are over 80cm and I expect wouldn't be very happy inside a cabinet or there's alway's the Kef Q35.2's at 76cm, also for the same price. Are you dead set on the cabinet? As others mention, it'll do nothing for the sound quality. I use Tannoy MX3's at the mo, pretty good for music but the bass is a bit muddy on movies, got them for £150 just over a year ago.

I guess if you already have rears and centre that will to some extent dictate your choice of fronts for matching but there's plenty of people on this forum who use a mixture of makes and drivers and seem happy enough.

Good luck

14. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate.

the rest of my setup is as follows:

Sony 32FQ75
    STRDB940
    Bose AM15

Basically i know there are alot of opinions on bose - and the fronts lack bass when playing 2channel stereo music. thats why im thinking of getting 2 floorstanders to beef up the fronts.
    i have already paid a small fortune for the setup - so cannot immediately replace the speakers - so i just want something to keep me going until i revamp the whole setup a bit later on.
    I bought the bose on the advice of musical images who said that they where very good for music and movies. at the time - i was a newbie to home cinema - so was amazed by anything with surround sound - but know i have more knowledge - im gradually demanding more and more from the system.

On my revicer i have the option of adding 2 extra fronts - (speaker B position) - but im unsure what impact this may have on the whole system.

I understand that having no space behin the floorstander do me no favours - but i have no where else to put them - as the setup of my room dictates where i can put them.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

15. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've got the Celestion F3's which I think are the F2's bigger brother. The F3's are rear ported and would probably not like to be in a cabinet where space around the back of the speaker is restricted. Its worth checking to see of the F2's are the same.

16. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitz,

I understand 80 cms is the maximum size speaker you can fit in your cabinet, I think a smaller unit will still fit, all you want is to improve your sound... Look for something with closed box, less efficient, but also less trouble by the location you will use... also, if you add a sub, it won´t have to play bass wich is the most affected by location...

17. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks lowrider -any suggestion on which fronts to get without a rear port.

I have the bose sub - do you think i should add a second sub?

18. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With your budget try B&W 601S3 and KEF Q15-2, they are still vented, but thru the front... The KEF Cresta 2 is not vented, but lower range... Of course there are many equivalent speakers from other brands, you have to shop around if you have time...

I read the Bose sub only goes down to 70 hz, so I would use the front speakers as large (try both ways)...

Later you should add a better subwoofer when you can afford...

Put something under the speakers to raise them as close to ear level as possible (lean them upwards if you have to), but use sturdy supports...

19. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds more like a crossover figure to me.

My son has just bought a sound system for his ps2 and that is rated at 30hz (but i would say a good 40-45hz) and he only payed £30 with discount and vouchers a very good buy.

Now compare that to the BOSE AM15 which cost 25 times as much, i would have weeped for a week.

20. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,

A friend of mine also has one, and quite happy, I think it does the job with movies, but not quite with music...

The 70 hz quote was from a user review in an american site...

21. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have hoped it had gone lower than 70hz though, wouldn't you?

Mind you i have heard the bose system on a demo in a sony shop a few years back, and as i recall that was very thin in the bass department.

22. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Go to http://www.superfi.co.uk/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=854 and see the KEf Q35.2 for yourself. I bought a pair from them. Great bargain. Mind you I like KEf and am slowly working my way through their range, upwards!

Good price. Good speaker. Small. 'Ok' cosmetically. Can pass without a sub, for now. Are fairly easy on positioning.

Also at www.superfi.co.uk are deals appearing on other stuff, ie, the new S3 B&W range! Have a search on the site. Good prices, fast delivery, normally free, reliable.

23. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks.

It looks like the KEF q35.2 are the ones to go for.
    I also noticed that what hifi gave it 5stars - so all in all - it seems like a good set of front speakers.

Cheers

24. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitz,

I have the F2 floorstanders and think they are great. They are rear-ported and need a bit of space. One of the good things about Richer (other than the pain in the neck ones like never having any of their "bargains" in stock etc etc) is that you can buy the product and take it back after two weeks if you don't like it. That means that you could buy several pairs of speakers and try them on your system and see which you like best!

Rgds

25. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Guys, the F1, F2, F3 etc are the older versions of the F20, the newest ones are the F10, F15, F20 and F30 :) Not quite sure what the difference is but hey!

If anyone is interested I have a pair for sale in the for sale section of the forums, not had any real interest in them which really did surprise me because they are cracking speakers :thumbsup:

Ive just gone as low as if really like to at £80 because the F10s (two models below it - and a small bookshelf compared to floorstand) are £110 at richer last time I looked.

Regards

Kiran :)

26. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Don't know it you realised that this thread is over 3 years old.

27. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    lol i just had someone asking me about my speakers and realised they had read this so i thought id reply...then i saw how old it was haha :rotfl: