Front Speakers- how far from screen?

mhuk05

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am very limited in terms of space available for front speakers- about 175mm each side of my TV (if I use floor standers). Is this likely to be a problem? MS 904's will fit but will be about 50mm away from the side of my TV. Or am I better wall mounting satellites above the TV?

Suggestions, comments?

Cannot "create" any more space as one side is a wall and the other side is a fireplace....

It depends what type of 'problem' you are talking about - ie magnetic interferance on your TV or being able to get the proper 'surround sound' from your setup.

If it is the later then http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html has details of the 'ideal' setup for dolby digital. Is your TV in the corner of a room then or is it parallel to the rear wall?

If your question is about magnetics then it depends on if your TV is a CRT (standard tv) or a flat panel (lcd/plasma) - if it is a flat panel then, if memory serves me right, they are not effected by magnetics and so it would not be an issue. If it is a CRT then I peronally would be concerned of only having 5cm clearance from some non-shielded speakers.

Hello,

TV (CRT) is in an alove between outside wall and fireplace., and is slightly angled into the room. The LH side is almost parallel to the outside wall, RH side is towards fireplace wall and some open space.

The question was more aimed at any possible efftect on surround sound by having the front speaker close to the TV.

The only problem with having them so close is that if you wanted to have them at the correct angle you could probably only sit a maximum of 1.5m away from the TV other wise you will lose some of the impact of the front 3 speakers (according to Dolby).

If you look at the photos of some of the peoples home cinema's in the other sections they are clearly not following the guidelines but are reporting great sound from their own setup.

Cheers for the comments. The TV is about 2m away from the sofa. There's not a lot I can do about the width of the alcove so will have to live with it (my current sub-sat system sounds OK and I'll prob continue to my JBL's for music).

Hi mhuk, I've got MS906s right next to my TV (<50mm away) and they're fine for interference, BUT they're not in an alcove, the speakers have plenty of space around them.

You may find the bass gets boomy with the speakers in an alcove - I was amazed how much cleaner my TV speakers sounded when I moved the TV out of the alcove...had to turn the bass up on them though!

If you find the speakers are boomy there are various things you can do, fitting port bungs, mass loading (fill 'em with dry sand) and worst case of sticking heavy weights on top will lessen boomy bass.

Here's a "rough" picture of the tv and "proposed" speaker position, prob with TV turned squarer:

tv.gif

mhuk05,
I would not worry too much about your positioning at the moment. I dont thiunk it will be too much of a problem, if any. MS904s are shielded (as are all of the avant series) and so will not interfere with the picture.

Do a search on 'front speaker placement' in the forum and you will find more info, but there was one guy on the forum, who worked in sound mixing for movies/television. He recomendesd that the front speakers should be close to the display, as therefore the sounds will relate more accurately to the movement going on on the screen. His advice was front speakers - narrow; rear speakers - wide.

My own 904s are almost 3 feet from my tv. I cannot get them closer because of equipment, but I'm not worried about it. They sound great. My brother has his speakers less than 10cm away from the tv, and his sound great too.

Dont worry about it, Im sure yours will sound great too. The only rule I think you should follow is not too place your speakers too far away from your display ( by too far I mean more than the width of your display).

Thanks for the reply. Guess that makes sense when you think about it:

.. the sounds will relate more accurately to the movement going on on the screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom