1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Speakers for AV set up??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ComfortablyNumb, Aug 19, 2003.

1. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any suggestions welcome Current AV set up is
    Paradigm PDR8 sub
    Paradigm CC270 centre
    Gale 3070B rears
    Yam DSP-AX630 A/V amp

And the speakers I want to replace are the 1980's Jamo's :rotfl: which im using for the fronts, they are far too old ugly and big and I wanted to replace with something a lot smaller and more in keeping with the rest of the kit which has been upgraded over the past year, I already run a set of Mission M74 and Mission Freedoms (1980's again) on my Hi Fi set up and absolutely love the way they compliment each other, so I was looking at maybe some Mission M71's for the fronts. any thoughts / recomendations appreciated, I dont want to screw it up at the final hurdle although some of you may already think ive done so in my choices above;)

Cheers

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't really know too much about speakers, sorry.

I just wanted to ask your opinion on the Yamaha amp? I am about to get the same model.

Thanks.

3. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Techno

I can only say previous to the Yamaha I had an 8 year old Sony and obviously technology has improved greatly in that time, even still I have always been a fan of Yamaha AV equipment and for what I paid for it, £219 at RS, I cant complain one iota, it is a fantastic piece of kit and I'm well impressed, before buying it I spent a couple of monthsscanning the net and reading through 50 odd reviews of various AV amps with say 10 related to the Yamaha and I didnt read one bad review of the Yam, had a quick listen and was sold, I'm no expert on all things AV and i'm know there are more expensive amps out there but for the money I dont think I could have bought better for a quality build and great sound, the adjustment of all channels and volume is clinical, after all it was originally a £400 piece of kit.

So Yeah I'm impressed:D

I hope you can get your hands on one.

Best of luck
    Dave

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I can never remember which Mission is which so won't comment but I would suggest that you think about getting rid of the Paradigm centre speaker and buying something that will tonally match whatever two front speakers you buy

5. Freddie

Freddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO the missions are a safe bet, but i would be tempted to go for the m72's if you have the extra space, they're basically a bookshelf version of the m73's and therefore a bit beefier then the 71's.

6. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks freddie
    Ive looked at the 72's as well, love the M series :D I thought they may be a bit too powerful, but the again the amp is multi adjustable, so I can have a play around.

Cheers