Question Front speakers downsizing - Monitor audio?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by daveontyne, Jan 12, 2017.

1. daveontyne

daveontyne
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5.1 speaker setup currently consists of:
    Centre - Mission 77c
    Fronts - Mission 780SE (mid 90s vintage)
    Rear - Mission 77ds
    Sub - REL Q-Bass

Considering reducing the size of the fronts to be more discrete and lounge friendly.
    Suggestions/opinions/advice based on experience please.

Rears can stay. Sub can stay.
    Centre is less obvious being in a cabinet below TV but expect to change to match front pair. Also could be better for dialogue anyway.

Budget is as little as possible.
    Listening is now primarily movies, not music.
    Upgrade to sound is not essential, as this is more about downsizing from the big black box missions, but don't want to drop quality

Initial thoughts in second-hand market to keep price down -
    Monitor Audio Radius (90 for fronts, 180 centre) - probably top of the list at the moment
    B&W M1s
    Q7000s

Are these going to be at least as good as what's there now?
    Any other suggestions . . . ?

Another alternative - I have a pair of MA Bronze BX1s in use elsewhere that I could swap in - still black wooden boxes but a good bit smaller than the missions. Then I'd only need a centre.
    With the BX range extinct and s/h BX centres looking uncommon or priced near a new Bronze, has anyone got experience (not theory) of mixing the new Bronze range with the older BX, and do they have a good tonal match?

Thanks

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    The current placement of your centre may well be the cause of your sound issues with it than the actual speaker itself. No speaker is going to sound its best in a cabinet so some gains could be made there.
    Are your current fronts on proper stands or on/in the cabinet too?
    I have always liked the M1s for the sound they produce compared to the size they are so those are well worth a look.

3. daveontyne

daveontyne
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PSM1.
    Aware of the cabinet issue. Centre is on rubber feet in the cab to help the situation; still not sonic perfection I'm sure, but there really isn't any other option. A smaller replacement might manage to sit on top instead of inside.
    Fronts are also on AV unit next to TV, not on stands, and having had them on stands in a music only setup in the past, well aware of the difference, although for movie listening they do ok where they are.
    But now looking for discrete AV that works more subtly into the lounge, rather than big boxes and stands, so front position will remain unchanged.
    So the brief is as above plus "sounds ok on/in AV unit, not stand or wall mounted"
    Thx

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    Could you wall mount around TV? If not then 3 m1s at the front could be a good option.