Front speaker upgrade?

mr.black79

Hi all,

Although I'm happy with my Tannoys, I'm tempted to upgrade the FL, CEN, and FR speakers. Since the Tannoys have a crossover of 140hz, maybe I'd get better sound/more from my set up with an upgrade to the fronts.

From what I've read Q Acoustics go well with Sony amps, I wonder if the 2010 or 2020 speakers would be best ? As I understand it, the Q's can be set to a crossover of 80hz?

I went for the Tannoys at first as we can't fit anything too much larger and they were the best I could afford. As an upgrade I'm looking at slighty larger, better quality speakers such as the Q 2010, or even at a push the 2020's

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 2010/2020 would be a good upgrade on your current speakers and should improve you front soundstage as well has help with music. You could also look at the Tannoy F series and Wharfedale Diamond 10.

mr.black79

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll research and shop around online. I could do with a fuller sound stage across the front speakers. Hopefully placing a centre channel on the middle shelf rather than the top will not make too much of a difference.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Putting a speaker within a cabinet is not recommended. I used to have my centre in the cabinet and when I moved it out onto the wall the improvement in sound quality was quite marked. It sounded so much more open and with more detail once out of the cabinet. You would be better to put the centre speaker on the wall above the TV than have it in the cabinet underneath.

decto

I have the QA 2000C with a pair of 1030i fronts and a Sony 2400ES.

I'm happy with the setup, I chose the floor standers as they were around the same price on clearance (£120 pr)as bookshelf speakers and stands while having a greater sensitivity and lower frequency response.

One other thing to consider is the size of the 2000C center, its the same frontal size as the AMP and nearly as deep so does take a little accomodating.

S

mr.black79

Putting a speaker within a cabinet is not recommended. I used to have my centre in the cabinet and when I moved it out onto the wall the improvement in sound quality was quite marked. It sounded so much more open and with more detail once out of the cabinet. You would be better to put the centre speaker on the wall above the TV than have it in the cabinet underneath.
Shame I can't mount on the wall, rear of our conservatory, awkward job. I'd put it on top shelf under the TV screen but it would overlap by about an inch. Maybe a riser for the TV

I have the QA 2000C with a pair of 1030i fronts and a Sony 2400ES.

I'm happy with the setup, I chose the floor standers as they were around the same price on clearance (£120 pr)as bookshelf speakers and stands while having a greater sensitivity and lower frequency response.

One other thing to consider is the size of the 2000C center, its the same frontal size as the AMP and nearly as deep so does take a little accomodating.

S
Glad to hear the Q's go well with a Sony. I've decided to go for the 2020's (LF on a Q's stand, RF on the side board) and a 20000C. Fortunately our TV stand will accommodate on the middle shelf with an inch or so to spare on top. They'll be about the same amount between the speaker and my BD player and a few mm to the other side.

From some pics on google, I see a few have their centre channel on the middle shelf. I'll have to think how best to site it. A suitable riser is tricky so far

Last edited:
Top Bottom