Front speaker placement in corner of room

andrewp303

Novice Member
I am looking at upgrading from my old 37" Sony LCD to a 55" OLED shortly (most likely LG CX) and will need a new TV stand too.

I'm having to work with the TV in the corner of the living room so there is little room either side for standmount speakers so my idea is to put them on their sides either side of the centre like this...

View1.jpg

The TV stand has a front opening of 1330mm so I can squeeze in Monitor Audio Bronze 50s and a Bronze Centre 150 (the 50s are the same height as the centre when on their sides). I already have an AV receiver with sub and surrounds in the other corners. My existing fronts are too wide to be used in the stand above.

Would there be enough stereo separation with the above set-up or would it be better to go for a passive soundbar like the Monitor Audio SB3 or even something else? Viewing distances are between 2.7-3.0m on the sofa.

The Bronze 50 and Centre 150 cost £434 whilst the SB3 is £600.

A part plan of the room.

Plan.jpg

Thanks,
Andrew

Jester1066

How much is your budget

Personally I would go for a good Atmos sound bar in your situation.

There is not enough separation to use any centre speaker regardless of size in that configuration I would go with no centre speaker.

I also wouldn't lie any bookshelf speaker on it's side.

Now you can get good cube stereo speakers. Monitor Audio do both the Mass - which are individually priced at around £70 RRP:

and Radius 45 - RRP £199 for the pair

the radius 45's are around 10cm square. They are rear ported, so might sound boomy inside the cabinet.

Both can also be wall mounted using this bracket. So you may actually get them beside your TV:

All of the above is available from Richersounds & any good Audio stores.

The Mass are also available as a 5.1 sub sat system:

There's also Cambridge Audio Minx:

But if space is tight a good soundbar will be better as I say.

Edit just realised you've got a sub & surrounds already, so have won't need the full mass 5.1.

Last edited:

gibbsy

Three separate speakers in that position and that configuration is something of a waste of money to be honest. There is no separation at all between the stereo pair and centre. I would certainly ditch the centre, simply don't need it but for a corner position and run as a 4.1 as a maximum. A soundbar would be the best option for you.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I am looking at upgrading from my old 37" Sony LCD to a 55" OLED shortly (most likely LG CX) and will need a new TV stand too.

I'm having to work with the TV in the corner of the living room so there is little room either side for standmount speakers so my idea is to put them on their sides either side of the centre like this...

View attachment 1466766

The TV stand has a front opening of 1330mm so I can squeeze in Monitor Audio Bronze 50s and a Bronze Centre 150 (the 50s are the same height as the centre when on their sides). I already have an AV receiver with sub and surrounds in the other corners. My existing fronts are too wide to be used in the stand above.

Would there be enough stereo separation with the above set-up or would it be better to go for a passive soundbar like the Monitor Audio SB3 or even something else? Viewing distances are between 2.7-3.0m on the sofa.

The Bronze 50 and Centre 150 cost £434 whilst the SB3 is £600.

A part plan of the room.

View attachment 1466768

Thanks,
Andrew

Is the top of fireplace too high for the tv? I see it all time here with members and they feel it´s fine. Wall mounting tv there and you would lean back on couch and watch straight with more space for speakers (B50s) at each side on top of speaker stands or some wall mounted speakers with nice clean install.

20170108_102349-jpeg.808469

20180103_183938-jpg.960572

Vikez

Novice Member
Andrew, if there is enough room on the stand, you could get something like these and place them directly to the sides of the screen: CD 290.3 (Canton is one of the most popular speaker brands in Germany, but I‘m sure some local brand will have something similar.)
If there is enough room on the left for a wall mount, something like these would also be a good solution: GLE 416.2 Pro Just angle them in line with the screen towards the viewing position.

andrewp303

Novice Member
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I have taken a look at the smaller satellite speakers to the sides and liked the looks of the Canton ones but they will be placed so close to the sides of the TV it's probably not worth the hassle. I'm not keen on placing the TV over the fireplace either as I prefer to watch with the screen at eye level.

As suggested a soundbar is probably the best solution which does allow for a wider range of TV stands to choose from as I won't need shelf space for an AV receiver and centre speaker.

RayP

Simplest solution is to remove the fireplace. You'd have plenty of space for floor-standers then. I removed mine and never regretted it. A double radiator in the dining area generates more than enough heat.

password1

Andrew, if there is enough room on the stand, you could get something like these and place them directly to the sides of the screen: CD 290.3 (Canton is one of the most popular speaker brands in Germany, but I‘m sure some local brand will have something similar.)
If there is enough room on the left for a wall mount, something like these would also be a good solution: GLE 416.2 Pro Just angle them in line with the screen towards the viewing position.
I can vouch for Canton, quality speakers. The small satellites and the slim.floorstanders will work and probably the best space saving speakers of decent quality..The Elac cinema pipes are also worth a look.. Very capable speakers.

Attachments

• 16151208775856836563442470563337.jpg
    16151208775856836563442470563337.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 15

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom