Front speaker placement help, please?

punit12

Active Member
Hi everyone, I have just wall mounted my Samsung LE32R41BDX in the centre of my living room, and have bought two floorstanders for rears. There isn't really enough space for the two bookshelves that I plan on getting, so could you tell me where to place them (I would prefer to wall mount them)?
there is a huge-ass cabinet on the left of the tv, which is my problem
Thanks
(ps I'm only 15 years old, so not too much techhie language please!)
Also, could you tell me if I have started the "project" OK? (opinions/hints?)

Sorry for bad picture quality (camera phone)
 

Attachments

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Looking at your setup I can not see an AV amp anywhere, and as for floorstanders for the rear, well? You would have been better off getting a compact speaker system looking at the size of the room. Speaker in each corner, centre under the TV and Sub in one of the corners.
 

punit12

Active Member
Andy98765 said:
Looking at your setup I can not see an AV amp anywhere, and as for floorstanders for the rear, well? You would have been better off getting a compact speaker system looking at the size of the room. Speaker in each corner, centre under the TV and Sub in one of the corners.
hi, yes the sony STRDG700 has been ordered and is coming tommorow.
i used to have a DAV S550, but imo, the sound was too "small" from those satellites.
do you have any idea as to where i should keep the fronts?
thanks
 

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
ok, options...

move that big unit to another part of the room, maybe swap it with a smaller unit?

move that big unit so its diagonal on to the corner, that gives you enough room to put a speaker next to it....

get a very sturdy wall bracket that can hang over the big unit and wall mount both speakers so they are the same height....

get a big bigger place....lol (altho tbh you seem to have a fair amount of room there)

edit: in fact, could you not move the big unit to in between the two rear speakers?? that would be perfect!

you can have their fronts more or less flush with the unit....
 

punit12

Active Member
Knyght_byte said:
ok, options...
get a very sturdy wall bracket that can hang over the big unit and wall mount both speakers so they are the same height....
Thanks for the reply.
If i get a sturdy wall bracket, would i be able to place them that high? Because on another thread, I read that the ideal position for fronts is 30 degrees from the centre, and I plan on placing the centre underneath the TV?

As for the others, (moving that thing), my Mum would kill me!!
 

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
I would be inclined to suggest you mount the centre above the TV if you mount the other speakers high up on the walls......however try it under the TV first as you have the luxury of the unit there already, if it doesnt work then mount it above...just get a pair of wall struts from B&Q and a shelf for it.....they do these nice 6in tall struts with 3 screw holes so they shouldnt look too out of place....you could even likewise use this for the fronts as well....so long as the wall is solid enough to hold the weight anyhow..lol
(if its holding that TV you shouldnt have a problem)
 

punit12

Active Member
Knyght_byte said:
I would be inclined to suggest you mount the centre above the TV if you mount the other speakers high up on the walls......however try it under the TV first as you have the luxury of the unit there already, if it doesnt work then mount it above...just get a pair of wall struts from B&Q and a shelf for it.....they do these nice 6in tall struts with 3 screw holes so they shouldnt look too out of place....you could even likewise use this for the fronts as well....so long as the wall is solid enough to hold the weight anyhow..lol
(if its holding that TV you shouldnt have a problem)
Ok, cheers will try it under the TV first and get the wall struts from B&Q.
Bidding on a pair of Mission M71s on ebay, are they any good?
 

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
if you get them for under £30 i'd say you've done well.....they may not be the be all and end all of hifi speakers, but more than worth paying around £30 for second hand, or up to £80 for brand new......my Mission 700's were pretty good quality considering they cost me £50 from RS brand new...heh....

to be honest, when you spend under £100 for a pair of standmount speakers you rarely get improvement over another speaker, its more just they sound different to each other.......altho there are some lemons to steer well clear of as well..lol
 

punit12

Active Member
Knyght_byte said:
if you get them for under £30 i'd say you've done well.....they may not be the be all and end all of hifi speakers, but more than worth paying around £30 for second hand, or up to £80 for brand new......my Mission 700's were pretty good quality considering they cost me £50 from RS brand new...heh....

to be honest, when you spend under £100 for a pair of standmount speakers you rarely get improvement over another speaker, its more just they sound different to each other.......altho there are some lemons to steer well clear of as well..lol
OK, they're at £19.99 atm, with about 3 days to go! What do you think of my Eltax Concept 500s? Any good for a noob/budget?
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom