1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front speaker placement - critical?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gargoyle, Sep 12, 2005.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    In the 18 years that I've enjoyed my hobby of home cinema, one thing that I've never changed in all of that time is the position of my front array of speakers, the stereo left and right have always been located around 4-5 feet either side of the television with the centre speaker dead centre under the tv and have always been happy with this arrangement.
    Today, I was told that ideally, the main left/right speakers should be located as close to the television as possible as this will tie the sound in with the screen and on checking the home cinema gallery, find that indeed, many home cinema's have the main speakers located this way - As I indicated, I'm happy with my arrangement but is it worth me relocating my l/r speakers like this?
    Will it significantly improve the sound of my home cinema system and also, is it a good way of listening to music with the speakers so close together?

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    mine are about 3 feet away and i find this the best position.

if you put them right next to the tv you dont really get the same feeling of being surrounded, you get the same sort of range as if you were using built in speakers (but much higher quality :D )

The thing is cinema screens are huge, and take up most of the "room" (or cinema), therefore the speakers are basically in the corners, and panning is accurate and involving. With a smaller TV you have to make a trade off, you want involving panning, but it also to be accurate (and remember right/left aren't only used for things happening on the corresponding side of the screen, but also off screen action, and more importantly music...).

listening to music with the speakers so close will pretty much ruin it (again unless you have a really wide screen!). You won't get the same stereo image, and this applies to the score of a movie as well.

EDIT: also, having a big bulky CRT directly in between and close to speakers will have a big effect on the sound.

If you have a big projector screen I say put the speakers at the two edges, but with plasma/tv configs, I think you've got it spot on.

Someone with a plasma and nice sleek satellites at equal distants from the screen inc. centre underneath will probably disagree, but then i dont like satellites :D

3. narcoticsuite

narcoticsuite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Place the main fronts as instructed in the manual. A good guide is as far apart as the listener is from them, particularly if being used for music as well as movies. The centre speaker being directly underneath the TV should be plenty to anchor the soundstage to the screen. Try experimenting and see if it makes a difference, but I think it may compromise the imaging and steering if the main speakers are too close together. If you're worried about anchoring the soundstage to the screen you could try an additional centre speaker above the TV.