1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front S-Video input vs Comonent Video Input on Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Funkybase, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday was I fooling around with the cables and connected my Denon DVD-2910 through the front S-video input instead of as usually using the component input on the backside. The strange thing was that the picture looked more "tight" with S-video cable, as if it was slightly higher resolutions, not as washed-out at it can be with the component, how can this be? Thought that component was the champ of inputs on this screen. I use a pretty cheap compnent lead from Profigold, approx £50 (5 meters). Can it be the cord that causes this picture difference?

Thanks!

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Silly point and feel free to shoot me down in flames but....

You may have had the cables connected to the component input RCA plugs but are you sure you have been watching your Denon in Component mode and not as a composite signal instead? When watching AV4 does the display in the top left display AV4C and not just AV4, AV4RGB or AV4S. You can toggle between AV4/S/C by repeatedly pressing the blue button on the remote. RGB will be auto detected and displayed on AV4 and will over-ride any manual setting.

Apologies if I'm preaching to the already informed. :)

S.

3. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! Yes, I've been watching the signal in component mode. The biggest difference is the signal looks tighter and brighter with s-video. This bothers me, as the component input shold be prefered?