Front Room Overhaul

Kev Ratters

Ex Member
Reaction score
So thought i would put up a little thread of how our front room will be changing over the coming months.

The intentions is to redecorate the living room, whilst replacing my AV Equipment with some fresh kit. All with the scope of being done by christmas, although a new couch isnt likely to be delivered until January by the looks of things.

Anyhow, this is how it currently sits. Some of the stuff is 7 years old like the speakers and Amp, and its served me fantasticly. It will be up for sale in due course, so if anything takes your fancy, keep an eye out.

20200927_165140.jpg

Samsung UE55MU8000
Yamaha RX-V673 Amp
Dali Zensor 3 5.1 Surround
Xbox One X
Sky Q
Chord Speaker Cable

The Ikea Cabinet will be going (along with mountains of toys), with a false chimney breast to hpuse the TV, Amp etc and a fire. White walls, grey laminate flooring and all new av equipment to come. The Samsung will be relocated into the kitchen, with the Dali's and Amp going up for sale in due course.

I'll update the thread as we start to make progress and new kit arrives. The new TV and console are already ordered, with the TV due to land next saturday 😎

Thanks all

So this is similar to what were having. Differences will include the TV being recessed into the breast with the TV on a cantilever style wall mount, swinging out to reveal the Amp Xbox and Sky Q box.

The centre speaker will be recessed into the breast also, but be visible.
FB_IMG_1601025178637.jpg

The Left and Right Fronts will stand either side, or if i go for shelf speaker, mounted on some small glass shelves, off of the chimney breast 👍

Looking forward to this one. I love the Dali speakers in white (I have the Zensor 1's as 5.1). You've said your have the Zensor 3, but do you mean 7sor 5s?

Looking forward to this one. I love the Dali speakers in white (I have the Zensor 1's as 5.1). You've said your have the Zensor 3, but do you mean 7sor 5s?
My bad, its the Zensor 5's not 3 as left and right channels. I have the zensor 1 as surrounds 👌👌😎

Very nice. I recently re did my lounge and considered swapping the 1's for 5's but couldn't find any for sale anywhere.

Last edited:
Mine will be going up in november i think. Not sure what to ask for the full setup with sub and centre speaker. What do they go for now?

That's just it, I couldn't find any so I've no idea on the second hand price... 🤷‍♂️

That fireplace looks really smart. Not a fan of tv up fireplace for main viewing due to the angle, but aesthetically that does look nice.

That fireplace looks really smart. Not a fan of tv up fireplace for main viewing due to the angle, but aesthetically that does look nice.
I hear what your saying, its certainly not ideal. Will source a bracket which angles down a bit to try and make most of an un-ideal situation 👍

So first of the new kit has landed this morning 😎

Gone for an LG 55CX Tv to get the most out of the new xbox. First OLED tv, and must say im VERY impressed. Just got it setup in the kitchen at the moment.
20201003_103614.jpg

Also ordered a new set of Q Acoustics shelf speaker wall mounts. Order 4 to mount the new fronts and surrounds. The bracket will be painted white rather than stay black

Also order some new QED Silver Anniversery XT Cable for the fronts along with bannana plugs as my current chord cable lengths wont be long enough
gs-pair_l_1-medium.jpg
silver-annxt_l_1-medium.jpg

Apologies, but I'm going to have to disagree.

Feature fire places conjure up memories of 80s style brick fortresses and this set up is little different to my mind and a major distraction to watching the TV and an OLED TV at that.

The protruding wall needs to be clear and recesses tidy. If you want something beneath the TV then consider a quality stand for your peripherals.

There's also too many angles to the wall that houses the TV. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Apologies, but I'm going to have to disagree.

Feature fire places conjure up memories of 80s style brick fortresses and this set up is little different to my mind and a major distraction to watching the TV and an OLED TV at that.

The protruding wall needs to be clear and recesses tidy. If you want something beneath the TV then think about a quality stand for your peripherals. Just not a feature fire place.
Apreciate the input, but couldnt disagree more. We'll see how it turns out, but an AV stand showing off AV equipment doesnt appeal to me one bit. Im trying to clean up the look of the room whilst injecting a bit of character. Im not single, and a partner to appease too.

Thanks for the opinion 👍👍

Thanks, Kev. I only wanted to provide a thoughtful counter argument. I did edit my post just after your reply highlighting the angles of your proposed protruding wall. Again, I can only suggest to keep it simple.

We'll see how it turns out, but an AV stand showing off AV equipment doesnt appeal to me one bit.

But a feature fire place does? Merely batting about ideas to assist and certainly not trolling, Kev.

That was my point, keep it simple and free and clear of clutter and distraction.

The 2 tier step chimney breast we discussed only today. Going to drop the tiered look and juat go with a single tier, but have the fire recessed slightly.

I dont think the colour its painted helps in the picture above. We are going brilliant white with the same with the speakers. Confident it will look good, but proof is in the pudding as tbey say.

I appreciate the input, and please keep it coming. Didnt see it as trolling, we all have different ideas and tastes, so what one likes, another doesnt 👍👍😎

Kev, I have to agree with Usane.
I have a chimney breast in the centre long wall, & that's the last place I would put the TV.
So I have gone with it in a corner of the room.
Simply cos, I don't want to watch with my head tilted upwards.
But, hey we are all different. Look forward to seeing your finished wall.:)

Kev, I have to agree with Usane.
I have a chimney breast in the centre long wall, & that's the last place I would put the TV.
So I have gone with it in a corner of the room.
Simply cos, I don't want to watch with my head tilted upwards.
But, hey we are all different. Look forward to seeing your finished wall.:)
Cheers mate 👍

The TV wont be nearly as high as in the picture of the example i've posted. It will be slightly higher than it is currently.

Having removed a feature fireplace and bricking it up to allow for the TV and cabinet I'll stick my oar in. Like some of the others I don't think the two are compatible. It's a distraction under the TV and you'll certainly not want the fire lit when watching the TV. The screen will also be too high for me personally but there again I'm an old fart with old fart's arthritis that effects my neck.

I have to admit that my 'feature' fire place was absolute crap compared to what you are proposing and I dare not show that mock up to the wife or she will certainly want a fireplace back in.

As for putting a TV in the corner of the room, that to me is the worse possible place, so like everyone we have to make the best of the compromises we are faced with. That's one of the best looking compromises I've seen in a long time. It will be interesting to follow the project.

gibbsy, too right, I agree to. Only prob is there's not really anywhere else to put it.
I have large patio doors one end, other end a flat wall which to me would be perfect, but swmbo says not. As you need to walk down that end wall to get through French doors to patio.
So, life sometimes is down to compromise. Its either that or do my own washing. :(
Be safe guys.

After taking some advice, finally settled on the majority of the speaker upgrades. Bit of sentiment went into the decision, with a late friend being obsessed with this particular brand.

Decided to go with Bowers & Wilkins 700 series 😎

Ordered from the guys at Doug Brady Hifi in Warrington. They have done me a deal with my current Dali's at a good price, so its taken the stress out of selling those. So big thanks to the guys.

So I've gone with:

HTM72 S2 Centre
706 S2 Right & Left
707 S2 Surrounds

Sub im yet to make a decision, but probably stick with B&W. All finished in Satin White 👌👍🔥
NewProject-146_a37c6635-ef5d-433c-a2da-56a22ea4041e_1080x.jpg
New_Project-167_1080x.jpg
New_Project-186_1080x.jpg

Subscribing to this thread as I have no clue really on av equipment but am close to finishing the exterior of my home cinema and will need speakers and a pj soon (ish).

Edit - just read that the speakers have gone, no bother :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom