1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front ported speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by s70rmp, Jan 3, 2005.

1. s70rmp

s70rmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Please forgive me if I'm wrong but would front ported (bookcase style)
    not give off any sound to the rear, I ask as I wont to get a new pair for a small project but don't want any sound heading towards next door neighbours.

cheers

and could anybody recommend any decent speakers for under £120?

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi s70, I'm not sure about the porting but make sure you get a good set of heavy speaker stands on spikes and fill 'em with kiln-dried sand (do a search for mass loading). This will isolate your speakers from the floorboards and reduce vibrations transferred to the floor (and hence to your neighbour).

Can anyone else comment on front/rear porting? You can always bung the port but that would hinder the airflow. I think decent isolation will make more difference than worrying about the porting.

3. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tannoy Fusion 2s are £110 from www.petertyson.co.uk inc delivery. They're front ported although I'm not sure if having front ported speakers will make a vast difference to the sound the neighbours hear. I've got a pair and they're very good, although I haven't heard other speakers in this price bracket to compare.