Front Panel USB Type C Connector

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I'd like to add a USB Type C connector to the front of my PC (for quick access) but I can't find any 5.25 or 3.25 panels with just a USB Type C connector on in (most have other things like standard USB 3.0 connectors or extra features I don't want and don't have the spare ports on my motherboard to hook up). Does anyone know of any?

I have a Fractal Design Define R5 case and an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard. My case doesn't have a USB Type C connector and my motherboard doesn't have a USB Type C header however I have see USB 3 to Type C converters for motherboards (as far as I understand it you won't get full speed but the connection will at least transfer data) so I'd like to get one of them and then put a USB Type C port on my cases front panel.

Can anyone suggest a 5.25" or 3.25 front panel I could get?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
That internal connector is Intel's internal USB 3.1 connector, as far as I'm aware there is no specific variant for Type C connectors, it works with any USB 3.1 port.

If you can't find a ready made bays you could buy some panel mount USB-C ports and either mount them directly to the case or existing blanking plate or have a custom bracket made for them (e.g. by an online 3D printing service).

mushii

Distinguished Member
I found at least 20 5.25 bays on Amazon all with USB C connectors within 30 seconds of Googling

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I found at least 20 5.25 bays on Amazon all with USB C connectors within 30 seconds of Googling
When I looked the majority have other connections that I don’t have the connections for on my motherboard or power supply.

Last edited: