1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front or surrond speaker cables

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by doncorleone, Apr 27, 2003.

1. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi im thinking of buying better quality cables but to get cables for all 5 speakers will be really pricey (espeically as im a poor student!) so what do you think is more important to get? Good cables for the left right and center, so like 3 speakers all about 2 meters of wire, or the surrond speakers which are prob more like 10 meters away each.

Cheers

Also does it matter if some speakers have new cables and some dont? Does it make it sound stupid?

:smashin:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have Silver Anniversary cable for the front three and much cheaper cable for the rears. I bought the Ixos flat stuff that runs under the carpet.

3. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the quality like? Is there a noticable difference and do you notice that the surrounds are cheaper?

4. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i would definately go with with upgradeing the fronts now as thats where most of the action happens. Worry about the surrounds later if the difference starts bugging you. I keep my surrounds fairly low in the mix anyway, as i dont like them to take over, so i dont notice any discrepency. Even for midrange components, IMHO, theres no point paying silly money on cables, £5 p/m dose the job nicely. In a budget set up £2p/m (again IMO) as the saying goes 'you cant polish a turd' so save your money for some bigger toys.

5. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol cheers mate. Yeah think ill sort out my fronts first, with some decent cable

thanks

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Why spend a lot on speaker cable, when you dont need to...maplins do a reel of decent cable for around £50.....i think that is for a 50 meter reel (might be 100)....then you can wire you house up, or have the speakers where ever you want...you will not find a lot of difference between cable that cost £1 a meter and some that cost £10 a meter.

As long as it is thick enough to carry the load that the speakers will draw (bit of Ohms law creeping in there).
    You could use 10amp fuse wire and you wouldernt tell the difference (as long as it got insulation round it, of course).

I used to have QED bronze when i first started with A/V, but its quite expensive......now i use 50ohm coax cable for my speakers and there is no diff, apart from the coax, cost my £26 for 100 meters and it has a loss of 1.3db over a lenght of 30 meters (IIRC, might be longer..its been awhile since i needed to know).

7. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Chris, im sure there will be some 'Goldenears' out there choking on their cornflakes, as for me and my lead ears? havent tried so cant really comment. Purely out of interest, what made you ditch the "exspensive QED Bronze" and go with the 50 ohm coax in the first place?

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I suspect the frequency range that the signal loss is measured at is way above the audible frequency range.

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    1 reason was the price of this so called super speaker cable, that we all need.....and the other factor was i already had the reel of coax in the loft, from my radio days, so thought i would give it a try, as it can handle around 20amps at approx 300volts ( these are all approx ratings, as the last time i checked this out, was when i first brought the coax....about 4 years ago.)

I thought " if it can transfer 5watts at 50Mhz with out much loss, through a run of 20 meters, then there should be very little loss, to my speakers at them sort of freqs (20hz- 22khz).

For my sub i use a piece of 75ohm sat cable i found in a draw and this cable has slight losses at Ghz, so prob no loss at Hz.

I have got a 100 meter reel of H100 in the loft, maybe i should change to that and see what the diff is....that has a .7db loss at 100Mhz for a length at 30 meters ( i think the length is right...i will have to do a serch and check it all out again).

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Best to use 50ohm co-ax for audio interconnects rather than 75ohm (which is suitbale for digital and video leads).

It'll be a better impdeance match.

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    You will find that coax cable and loss is for rf and not af,you should be looking at resistance of the cable and not db loss at a given frequency.Also when your thinking of impdeance matching your now talking aerials,Chris should know that from his days on 6m.

Oh yes and don't forget to cut your coax at odd wavelengths (another one for chris).;)

12. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so, as i dont understand all that tecnical speak, is it worth buying expensive cables? My system cost me £370 and is 450 watts, what would you recommend?

13. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I would say no, but its up to you.If you can get to richer sounds they will lone you some cables to try.If you can tell the difference change your cables if you can't keep the ones you have.

14. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:

15. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Digital interconnects are expected to be 75ohm by the equipment at each end, so best to give what it wants.

Likewise with analogue audio, but with 50ohms.

It's all to do do with impdance matching to get the best quality signal transfer.

16. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm!

For normal unbalanced analogue audio interconnects, typical source (output) impedance is around 600-1000ohms (maybe less), and typical load (input) impedance is, well anywhere from 10k to 100k ohms - no impedance match.

Added to that is the fact that at audio frequencies, 50ohm coax won't be 50ohms :). The characteristic impedance of a coax won't usually settle down to it's "characteristic level" until the MHz range, typically 5MHz.

17. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about...392 Strand 'OFC' cable,

Core thickness: 2x 1.5mm2
    Composition of core: 392 x 0.07mm
    OFC grade: 99.95% OFC copper/silver cable
    Dimensions: approx 9 x 3mm

whatever that all means

i can get 10 meters for £15, reckon thats a good deal?

18. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Without wanting to start a proper argument, here is my info:

Taken from Arcam website:

CD23T - Output impedance 50 ohms

This is the same for all the DiVA audio sources.

I'll concede the other end of the cable though, these seem to be typically 10kohms.

:D

19. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, but you don't want reflections to occur between the DAC and the cable itself, as this affects the signal. This will occur if the impedance of the cable is higher than the output impedance. Of course, you will get reflections from the other end as well, but it's assumed that the losses in the cable will make up for this.

20. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Radio fequency and audio frequency are not the same You can't hear radio frequencies until they are converted into an audio frequency.We are getting speaker leads mixed up with transmitter leads.The only impedance the amp will get is the one from the speakers a the slight resistance from the copper in the coax. I have a tranceiver that goes down to 30khz, and thats fed with 50ohm coax.

21. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Whats happened here its switched from speaker cables to interconects.

22. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah any chance you could quickly just say whether my £10 cable deal is worth it, if they should be good quality

thanks

23. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

yeah any chance you could quickly just say whether my £10 cable deal is worth it, if they should be good quality

thanks

:)

Yes, it looks like it's reasonable for the price!

Whether you'll notice any real difference is debatable though - however I suppose £15 (or is it £10 for 15m) isn't that much to lose if you don't!

24. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    doncorleone i wouldn't worry too much about a missmatch of cables.Until recently all mine were a missmatched and worked ok and i use different cables for the rears(most people do) and as for the cable the specs look good for the money.