1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front L & R Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by philthyanimal, Dec 16, 2003.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a set of kef kht 1005 speakers with sub, powered by a pio ax3.
    I would like to upgrade my speakers and was thinking of replacing the front l & r with kef q3's.
    Would my current surrounds, centre and sub sound o.k with these?
    Or should i replace the centre as well?
    Budget is an issue here and although i would like to replace my centre at some point, hopefully with a kef q series speaker,but i would prefer not to have to do it right now.

Any help most welcome.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    just about any KEF Uni Q speakers will work well as surrounds with the Qs (I use one egg for a surround back) & the sub will be fine within its limitations. I would be concerned about the centre speaker though, you may find it lacking compared to it's big brothers.

I would caution against the Q3s though - they are rather the Uncle Nobby of the Q range and are easily outperformed by the Q1s on a decent stand. The Q4 looks interesting, but I haven't seen or heard these - but I can report good things about the Q compacts which share the same drivers.

My recommendation is to have a look at the Q1s, compacts and 4s before you make any decisions. After installing your new fronts, you might then want to consider your centre speaker - Q9c for Q1s, Q6c for Q4 or compact.

3. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i will look at those.

As far as the centre performance is concerned, if the sub is having to compensate for the centres lack of bass , wouldn't the L & R fronts sound bass heavy?
    The sub is the psw 1000.

the 1005's go to 120hz and cross over is set to 150 on the amp. Is the centre speaker not as dependant on bas as the front L & R?
    My amp has the mcacc on it, would this help balance the centre to the L & R fronts?

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If your current centre goes to 120 hz this is 70 hz higher than the Qs (nominally anyway) but with the xover at 150 and lfe set to sub all frequencies below 150 go to the subwoofer. To me though this is a problem. The Q range will handle frequencies down to say 80hz in a well mannered fashion so that's what I'd ideally want them to do and only frequencies below this sent to the sub. Of course with your current set up, this would leave a hole in the centre channel (not good). You pay your money and make your choice I suppose!

WRT mcacc if it has an eq function, then you should be able to eq to the centre speaker, which should balance the frequencies, but it may not produce the best results.

Incidentally, pair of Kef Q compacts + stands & a Q6c will cost about £450, not a lot more than the Q3s. Q1s & a Q9c + stands cost me just over £500 a year ago