Front height distance

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lglee, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Lglee

Lglee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. Got a pair of Dali Altecos coming tomorrow to use as front heights. Going to wall mount them square with the ceiling and was thinking how close to the listening position I should put them. These are primarily for Atmos if that helps.
    Cheers
    Lee

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,692
    The accepted best practice of using front height speakers for Atmos is to have them as high as possible but angled down towards the MLP, usually on the front wall and in line with the fronts. They have to be configured as ceiling speakers in the receiver. Many members use this type of layout to good effect.

3. Harkon321

Harkon321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Front heights would be near the front wall, or could use as Top Middle and mounted at the correct angle following Dolby Guidance, just in front of MLP. Might look odd there though unless a dedicated room.

Alot of people have played around with locations until they get something they are happy with.

4. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I have my current front height speakers (Surrounds from my previous 5.1 set) above the fronts and about 5" from the ceiling. As the Dali's have a switch to angle the speakers to fire down or up for me I would start with that but always worth trying out various locations.

I was looking at the Altec's but decided against as I did try a Dali 5.1 setup a couple of years ago but found them far to bright for my tastes. For me it's down to the Klipsch r-14sa's or SVS Prime Elevation's with most likely the latter being the favourite.

Let us know how you get on