Front firing versus Downward firing

If it has to go in a cabinet, then I still feel the SB-12 would do as well as anything. If can be placed more traditionally, but a room dominating box is not really prefered, how about 2x SB-12s? Just an idea.

It's a combo I've had my eye on for a while and may yet still be considering, pending speculated release dates for a new product due to be released next year.

Russell
What is it you are waiting for? Is it big or compact?
Thanks
David

What is it you are waiting for? Is it big or compact?
Thanks
David
BK are rumoured to have a new sealed design in the pipeline. They're being tight lipped about it because, presumably, they don't want to have a situation where they announce a new model, only for the finalisation of the design take longer than anticipated, or effect the sales of their current model.

SVS jumped a bit early on the SB-12 which took about 6 months longer than anticipated. Little harm, if any, was done. JL announced the Fathoms about 2 years too early. I have no idea how many people lost interest, wandered off, or bought another brand.

I'd advise buying the best sub for your money and circumstances, currently available. There is always something just around the corner, some new model, some new version, etc. A good sub does not become poor or obsolete overnight due to the appearance of a new model.

Russell

Next stage is to find someone with a Monolith AND the willingness to transport it to mine.
Cheers,

Russell

I could well be 'your man' then Russell .... Silver DF ariiving at chez Druboo in the New Year and I have to make fairly frequent trips to Cambridge.
Will post in the DF thread when the beast arrives ;)

Hi, I've just read through this post and found it very informative but maybe I missed it, did anyone actualy address your title question Front firing v downward firing . I would like to know too.
Alexx.:lease:

Well, I took the plunge and bought a SVS SB12+, mostly on size & price.

I expect to get flamed by many purists who quite reasonably suggested that my large PMC speakers deserve a much larger sub!

However, since space, aesthetics & price were the major factors, the SB12+ seems like the best compromise. For now, at least.

First impressions are very favourable with lovely clear deep basslines in my Ska CDs. I am looking forward to testing it out properly.

I will need to look into doing a room EQ check using SPL meter, laptop & REW software. I am scared by this prospect at the moment!:eek:

Until I get my head around it, what settings would be suggested by those of you "who are so wise in the ways of subsonic science"

At the moment I have it set as follows:

Gain: approx 9am
Phase: 0
Room Comp: Bypass
PEQ and xover: Bypass
Input used: Low level

I could set Room Comp to Large, I suppose.

Does a good subwoofer cable contribute much?

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,
David

If the sub gives you what you want then People called Romanes have no right to flame you.

Hi, I've just read through this post and found it very informative but maybe I missed it, did anyone actualy address your title question Front firing v downward firing . I would like to know too.
Alexx.:lease:

I haven't owned a comparable FF sub but my PB12 Ultra is DF and sits in a very enclosed alcove, just a couple of inches either side and maybe a foot behind it. I won't pretend I haven't had issues with it but most of those have been cured by some minor :)devil:) room alterations.

I don't think my sub suffered at all from being in a tight space.

I think some people look at subwoofers and because they operate in the same ways as speakers, expect them to output their sound the same way. Facing the driver towards you is not necessarily going to make it sound any better that facing it to a wall. Low frequencies don't need to be pointed at you to work and they tend to travel through solid objects much more easily than higher frequencies.

I speculate here a little but appart from the added flexibility of being able to rotate a FF sub and alter the distance of the source without relocating the sub, I really don't think their is much in it.

I welcome a bashing for my opinion though :D

Adam

C'mon Nimby you can do better than that :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom