Front/back L/R speaker placement for best audio image?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by darksun9210, May 8, 2018.

1. darksun9210

darksun9210
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    what's the best placement for the left and right speakers?
    room is 8x5m, screen in the middle of one long wall. vertically lowered down from center as usual viewing is sofa based.
    currently the rules to my mind are:-
    center speaker/s; below and/or above screen
    Sub unit; anywhere, but i like it on an outside/supporting wall/corner to reflect as much back into the room as possible.

beyond that, i'm a little lost. left and right speakers obv. left and right, but at the moment, the fronts are quite close up to the edges of the screen leading to quite a tight stereo field.

should they be wider?

the rear left and right are at the back corners of the room, nearly 8m apart to accommodate coverage of all seating area.

again, is this right?

any thoughts most welcome...

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
  3. darksun9210

darksun9210
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey Joe,
    Good info!

So:-
    Left, Center, and Right Speakers
    Left, center, and right speakers help sound follow action across the TV screen, especially with music, dialogue, and special effects. Left and right speakers should be equidistant from both the screen and you.

Sorry if i'm having a bit of a Homer moment here, but:- Equidistant, so, if i'm 3-4 meters back, each of the l/r speakers needs to be 3-4 meters from the center of the screen?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    Equidistant - to your main seating position, not the Screen.

Front LCR - very few folk will have the ability to install Speakers in a nice Arc around them.

AVR - will have user/auto adjustment which will introduce a delay to individual channels to allow for a degree of difference in distance between you and the various loudspeakers.

Front LCR - having them all at seated Ear Height and the LR close to equidistant to you and avoid positioning them in a corner is the norm for most installs.

Phantom Centre - where your Speakers would have to be closely clustered around a TV screen you can easily do away with the Centre, assuming your AVR allows you to set the system up with 'No' Centre, most do.

Joe

5. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    think of it like a triangle.

if your 4 meters away then you want your L&R's 2 meters away each side from screen but that's a 45 degree angle so ideally you want them a bit closer together. Dolby recommends 22-30 degrees

6. darksun9210

darksun9210
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ahaaaa, ok, yes of course. I'll take one "doh!" please.
    I tried the "phantom centre" option but found dialogue a little indistinct unless it was the only thing going on. having a "real centre" brought more ... focus? to the on screen action.

later on this year i'll have to re-jig the setup in this room, so i'll play with moving the L&R speakers further apart physically to see if that makes any difference. At the moment i just don't feel i'm getting a distinct separation or shape to the sound stage... anyway, thanks for the notes Joe+Dollag :)