Question Front and center speakers to pair with Pioneer VSX-934?

jimdriver2

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Pioneer VSX-934 and I'd like to replace the older Eltax front and center speakers I bought years ago.

I've moved into a new flat and my lounge space is only 3m squared so I have no need for them to be loud. In fact my preference is for quality so when we're watching films at night at low volumes (thin walls!) everything still sounds good.

Also important is the size. My current front speakers are full size floor standing ones and I'd prefer to have smaller floor standing ones that match the height of the TV stand, so roughly 50cm. I'm still going to put them on the floor probably on small stands, which I know is probably not ideal, but I'm very much so going for a compromise of style with performance here.

Basically I suppose I'm after recommendations of a the best budget pair of speakers that fit those requirements.

On Amazon these looked viable for the front speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I think you should think twice if you meant that the top of the speakers would be at 50cm, unless you sit/lay on floor which isn´t ideal either. Depending of speakers they may sound lot poorer as your ears are much higher when seated. Add the low volume night time use and how our hearing works when listening low volume = you are not going to be happy. As a minium you should follow the basic rule that the speakers tweeters should be close to seated ear height. Typically you can get there by opting for ~60cm tall speaker stands, but of course depending of couch/listener height. There must be some good looking combination that get´s you there.

I think there is slightly better and more modern speakers available for little bit more. Example the newer Wharfedale 220 costs same, but for Wharfedale you would have to look 11 serie for matching center.

Then you have the new QA 3000i range which is probably most popular pick. PT has good prices for A-grade refurb models:

Dali Spektor 2 would be intresting one too, but the price jumps slightly.

Monitor Audio Bronze 1s are enjoyable to listen and compact sized. Many different finishes.

I think you should think twice if you meant that the top of the speakers would be at 50cm, unless you sit/lay on floor which isn´t ideal either. Depending of speakers they may sound lot poorer as your ears are much higher when seated. Add the low volume night time use and how our hearing works when listening low volume = you are not going to be happy. As a minium you should follow the basic rule that the speakers tweeters should be close to seated ear height. Typically you can get there by opting for ~60cm tall speaker stands, but of course depending of couch/listener height. There must be some good looking combination that get´s you there.

Thanks that's really useful information to know. Since posting I did a bit more searching and it does seem like normal floor standing or smaller ones on stands are the way to go.

How does the system sound at low volumes with your current loudspeakers?

Replacing ‘full range’ cabinets with smaller ‘limited’ range cabinets and expecting an equal or improved sound at low volumes will require very carefully Loudspeaker, room and amp matching.

Do you ‘need’ surround sound? If you want to retain quality and reduce or minimise intrusion into other rooms/spaces I would consider a decent 2.0 or 2.1 setup with the option to turn the sub off/low and possibly some form of loudness/nighttime viewing option on the amp.

Small/limited range/inefficient loudspeakers tend to work well at a certain volume and above in a room - they can often sound disappointing at low volume in the same room.

Joe

How does the system sound at low volumes with your current loudspeakers?

Replacing ‘full range’ cabinets with smaller ‘limited’ range cabinets and expecting an equal or improved sound at low volumes will require very carefully Loudspeaker, room and amp matching.

Do you ‘need’ surround sound? If you want to retain quality and reduce or minimise intrusion into other rooms/spaces I would consider a decent 2.0 or 2.1 setup with the option to turn the sub off/low and possibly some form of loudness/nighttime viewing option on the amp.

Small/limited range/inefficient loudspeakers tend to work well at a certain volume and above in a room - they can often sound disappointing at low volume in the same room.

Joe

The current sound system is ok at low volumes, usable but my upgrading to the Pioneer VSX-934 has made me think it's worth ensuring the speakers match the same level of quality. The existing speakers are an Eltax speaker set, fronts, center and rears. I bought it back in 2004 from Maplins in a sale. When I've been trying to use it with the Pioneer VSX-934's dialog boost feature it's not performed great and that was what got me thinking about the benefits of getting some decent speakers.

I don't use my sub as it doesn't really fit in our lounge conveniently and the bass is likely to be too much for neighbours below.

The theory I'm operating on is if I just buy some new better quality speakers in the very least audio quality will be better, even if they don't bring loads of benefits having them at quieter volumes. I'm applying the principle that a (relatively) decent component (the Pioneer VSX-934) is performing at a level less than it is capable of due to being matching with lesser equipment. Does seem reasonable?

So I'm thinking I'm going to go for the Wharfedale Diamond 220 for my front speakers and put them on stands.

Need to decide on which centre speaker. Thinking of one of the following
  • Wharfedale Diamond 11.CC
  • Q Acoustics 3090Ci
Anyone able to recommend which one would be better to pair with the Diamond 220s? Or just which one is considered objectively better?

So I'm thinking I'm going to go for the Wharfedale Diamond 220 for my front speakers and put them on stands.

Need to decide on which centre speaker. Thinking of one of the following
  • Wharfedale Diamond 11.CC
  • Q Acoustics 3090Ci
Anyone able to recommend which one would be better to pair with the Diamond 220s? Or just which one is considered objectively better?

Eltax speakers are very cheap and usually sold as 5.1 for dirty low price in supermarkets, so i would assume most of the big brands will be noticeable upgrade to what you have. The night time listening can be tricky though.

Use Amazon UK so you can easily return the speakers if you are not happy. Basically the Diamond 11CS would be ideal partner to 220/225s. That is what Wharfedale has recommended when customers have asked and we have some members with that combination, they are very happy. If you are size restricted then the 11CC could be ideal.

Shame you didn´t pick Denon X1600H/X2600H cause i think the Audussey Dynamic EQ / Volume would have been much better for night time listening than what Pioneer offers. I use DRC function in my Yamaha at night time and it makes small difference. But reportedly Denons feature is best of the bunch and big reason why people opt for them! If you are still in the return period window, you may want to re-consider..

Eltax speakers are very cheap and usually sold as 5.1 for dirty low price in supermarkets, so i would assume most of the big brands will be noticeable upgrade to what you have. The night time listening can be tricky though.

Use Amazon UK so you can easily return the speakers if you are not happy. Basically the Diamond 11CS would be ideal partner to 220/225s. That is what Wharfedale has recommended when customers have asked and we have some members with that combination, they are very happy. If you are size restricted then the 11CC could be ideal.

Shame you didn´t pick Denon X1600H/X2600H cause i think the Audussey Dynamic EQ / Volume would have been much better for night time listening than what Pioneer offers. I use DRC function in my Yamaha at night time and it makes small difference. But reportedly Denons feature is best of the bunch and big reason why people opt for them! If you are still in the return period window, you may want to re-consider..

That's great, really helpful thanks.

I think I'll go for the 11CC as the room is relatively small and it's a little nearer the budget I'm planning on spending.

One last question, I'm going to put the 220s on stands. From the measurements I've found online of the 220's it doesn't seem many base plates are as big as the bottom of the 220s. Can they 'hang' over the edge of the base plate?

Can they 'hang' over the edge of the base plate?
Yes. Many people find that using blu tac not only offers good decoupling but it's adhesive powers helps hold the speakers safely in place.

That's great, really helpful thanks.

I think I'll go for the 11CC as the room is relatively small and it's a little nearer the budget I'm planning on spending.

One last question, I'm going to put the 220s on stands. From the measurements I've found online of the 220's it doesn't seem many base plates are as big as the bottom of the 220s. Can they 'hang' over the edge of the base plate?

As @gibbsy mentioned.

If you are looking cheap 60cm tall stands then Fisual from AVF advertiser:

The top plate on these is spot on for the 220s! But feel free to pick the ones that also look nice. Richer Sounds has those Z2s which looks great!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom