Front 3, Black, £500? Pair with TX-NR509

Wayne00

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Onkyo surround sound system that came with the amp but I want something with more presence as it's for the front room instead of the bedroom now.

Is the TX-NR509 good enough to power some half decent speakers? My ultimate goal is a set of KEF Q300's a Q600c centre, but atm they are out of budget and also the 600 is a little too big! My room is only 4m x 4m. I shall use the back surrounds from the little Onkyo speakers and also the Onkyo sub should suffice.

Going to use the sub and rears from this set up Superfi - ONKYO SKSHT528 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM

Looks is important as the TV and speakers are the main focus in the otherwise very neutral room.

Room is white and black, are the BX2's in black with white cones a good choice do you think? Is the RX the centre for these? What else should I consider? Perhaps I should try and find a Q200C and some Q100's? Happy to buy used.

Thanks for all advice.

Last edited:
fwiw, your onkyo avr will be fine. imo the q600 is a better center than the q200 sound wise. that being said if the q600 is an impossible fit and the smaller q200 is workable then it will be better than no center. as for the bx2's , the matching center is the bx center. don't know what kind of a budget you have now or what type of system your looking to have in the end. but if this is for mostly movies/tv and want to get the most out of them, I would seriously be looking for a sub upgrade. imo a good sub is just as important as the front lcr. as they compliment each other in the system

Thanks for the reply. My budget is minimal at the moment however I want the speakers to be bigger and have room presence unlike the little onkyo system. So essentially it's looks over SQ (the wrong way to do it!). I think the BX set up may suit my needs... For now! Hopefully the SQ is adequate.

It's only a 4m x 4m room so surely it doesn't need a big system? The main viewer is only 3m from the centre speaker. I guess because the rooms small I can't see us needing a better sub as it currently shakes my bedroom anyway!

I need to research whether the BX1 or BX2 will work better with the BX centre, however the speakers will be close to a wall so the BX2 with the front opening for the air to exit may be better. Time to find a set in gloss black! =)

If there's anyone in Kent with a good set up I'd love to have a list! =)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom