1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From VHS - scart to composite or scart to scart?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gmr, Feb 17, 2005.

1. gmr

gmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This probably is a stupid question - but it would be easier for me to connect my old VCR to the composite input on the front of my XS32 to copy old tapes to DVD. I have a scart - composite lead I could use for this. But would the quality be any better going scart to scart (not a major problem - just need to get around the back and disconnect the Sky connection)? Or is there another better way?
    Many thanks,
    Gidon

2. agneepath

agneepath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    i've asked a similar question but haven't recieved a reply yet!

(In my case its the panny e-95)

3. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart to Scart is better quality for sure. If you use this all the time and fall short of scart sockets, buy a decent splitter or switch box.

4. wiggles

wiggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So long as your happy with the output quality from your old VCR,
    then yes it will be easier.
    I do this a lot and, therefore, use a scart switcher (old B-Tec Quattro)
    which joins my sky+, dvd player and VCR all through to my dvd recorder.
    If your copying stuff which is pre-recorded and carries copyright protection then neither option will help.

5. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There's no such thing as a scart to composite lead. A fully wired scart lead will carry all the different types of output e.g. RGB, composite and s-video. If you want RGB then you must use a scart cable as this is the only type of lead capable of carrying the signal.

However as a VCR will only output composite video ( a few have s-video ) then it doesn't matter whether you use phono to phono, scart to scart or scart to phono. So if it's easier to use the from inputs for transferring old tapes to DVD the use it.

6. gmr

gmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks everyone. Sorry jem - I did get the lingo wrong - I meant scart to phono lead - which gives composite video. I guess I was really wondering if there's anything in the scart physical connection itself that is superior to using phono plugs - when all I can get out from my VCR is composite anyway.
    Wiggles - no I'm not really happy with the output from my VCR through composite - but it's all I have! And it looks even worse after you've recorded some programmes using RGB input into the XS32! Still the good news is the recording looks identical to the original VHS tape - and the audio is in sync. I could bore you to death with how long I've spent trying to acheive the same thing on my PC this last few years!!
    Thanks for clarifying things and so fast.
    Cheers
    Gidon