1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Tape to CD..?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by A-Mira, Jun 18, 2004.

1. A-Mira

A-Mira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people.

I'm new here :hiya:

I just want to know if there's anyone out there who knows how to convert your music tapes (not video tapes) to cd's (mp3, WAV, WMA etc.). I got a bunch of tapes with quality music that I want to convert into digital. The sound quality doesn't matter at all...all I want is to store my analog music on a digital media. So what should I do and is it even possible to perform this task? I don't want to use a lot of cash so if you know a software or something else that might be handy I would be glad!

Cheers from Denmark. THanks! :smashin:

2. Kalef

Kalef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    Which CD burning package do you have?

If it's Nero, and you have a soundcard with an input, then you've got all you need already (except perhaps for a cable).

4. A-Mira

A-Mira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response!

I currently have Nero 6 installed on my pc. I have a Sound Blaser Live! from Creative. Do you know where I can find a "how to do" guide about this stuff or maybe you could help me just to get it started...

Thanks man :smashin:

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    OK. Physical connections first.

You need a cable with one end suited to the outputs on your tape deck - typically 2 x RCA phono jacks; and the other end suited to the LINE input on your soundcard - typically a 3.5mm stereo jack. Connect the two together. Use the LINE input on your soundcard - not (say) the microphone input or any outputs. You may need to consult with the soundcard manual to find it.

Now the software:

You have probably got a utility called something like "Creative Mixer" somewhere in your start menu. Get this up and running, and ensure it is displaying RECORDING controls.

Nero: I have 5.5 so it may differ, but....

Start Nero Wave Editor. Look for an option that allows you to record to a new file. Bring it up. It should display a window which contains some sound level meters. Make sure that it is set to record at CD quality - stereo, 44100 bps, 44k sample rate (these figures from memory - don't trust them!).

Start playing your tape. Once it is actually playing, adjust controls on the MIXER software so that only the LINE input is active - the rest are mute (this is to keep background noise to a minimum). Adjust the level so that the meters in Nero are peaking at no more than about -2db.

Now you have sound going in to your PC at the right level. Rewind the tape, pause it, start recording in Nero, start the tape.

Stop at the end of the first track, and save the file with a useful name, in the format .wav (uncompressed wave) and close it. Repeat for subsequent tracks until done. Note that this will use a fair bit of hard disc space - about 10mb per minute.

Then use Nero to create an Audio CD using the saved .wav files in the order you choose.

If you want to, you can use the Nero wave editor to clean up the tracks - reduce background noise, hiss, etc., before you make your CD.

The online manuals (pdf format) for Nero and anything that supports your soundcard may give you more fine detail. This is just an overview.

6. A-Mira

A-Mira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much Nigel! I'll try it out in the end of the week. Thanks again