From Sony to Fuji to another Fuji

eduk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the forum is slow I thought I'd ramble on about how I have stumbled into Fuji, the camera, not the country. It may be useful to others on the same path, but probably not. Grab a drink....

I had always fancied the X100 due to its APS-C sensor, rangefinder look, compactness, buttons/dials, EVF and excellent jpeg output, with in-camera control of RAW conversion. I took a punt on a minty X100T from London Camera Exchange and it really is an excellent camera. After a few weeks I realised that I wanted to ditch my Sony dSLR kit but the X100T didn't match my style of shooting to do that.

The fixed 23mm f2 wide open is sharp at distance, but for close head shots it was too soft in the eyes at f2 for my liking. I added the TCL-X100 teleconverter to bring it up to a 33mm (50mm FF) but still found that I was heavily cropping. The TCL-X100 is a bit clunky to screw on too.

I still wanted a X100 style camera and looked at the 24mpix X100F, matching my Sony A77 for cropping potential. The lens is the same as the X100T though, but the TCL-X100 can be used. Perhaps standing further back and using the 24mpix for cropping would fix things with it being soft close-up.

However some reviews mentioned a Fuji camera that is ignored, the recently discontinued X-E3. Looking at the specs it is VERY similar to the 24mpix X100F I was about to trade up to. Mount the Fuji 27mm f2.8 pancake on it and you have something similar in size to the X100F.

The 27mm gives me a more useful focal length sitting between the X100 23mm and the 33mm you get on the X100 with teleconverter attached. I can live with f2.8 for everyday shooting out and about.

Deciding on the X-E3/27mm combo I now had the option of adding a second lens for portraits. The obvious choice being the fairly compact Fuji 50mm f2. Cheap, light, fast AF, sharp at f2, the resolution charts are amazing. But I wanted something to replace my Sigma 50mm f1.4 and while the Fuji 50mm f2 is nice and sharp, the Fuji 56mm f1.2 is sharp and the bokeh lovely!

Second-hand there is quite a leap from the 50mm f2 to 56mm f1.2 (duh!) and for a time I was really tempted to stick a second-hand one onto my credit card just for that lovely f1.2 bokeh :eek: It's obviously larger and heavier than the 50mm f2, but I want compactness when using just the 27mm pancake not a 50/56mm, so no worries there.

Then I came across a comparison with a Chinese make, Viltrox. At first I ignored them, thinking it will be the usual Chinese manual focus lenses you get on the Sony mount. Well that was a mistake! I was blown away with comparisons between the new Viltrox 56mm f1.4 and the Fuji 56mm f1.2 as it nearly matches it at f1.4.

A new Viltrox 56mm f1.4 is only 300 quid from Amazon. It is cheaper than a second-hand Fuji 50mm f2 and way cheaper than a second-hand 56mm f1.2. Better still, Viltrox have reverse engineered the X mount and stuck a fast silent AF motor in it. There is a USB port for firmware updates.

Today I have traded in the X100T/TCL-X100 combo and purchased a new X-E3 with new 27mm f2.8 (similar price of a second-hand X100F from the shop) then I've bagged the Viltrox 56mm f1.4 on Amazon. Hopefully all in time for the weekend fun.

I am also looking at the Fotodiox AF-FX adapter for adapting my Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro to X mount. I did consider doing that for the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and my other Sony lenses but I want AF and then cash from selling my Sony gear.

As I said the X100 series are excellent, just not for me when I can have the X-E3. There is one last personal irritation about the X100 series vs X-E3, the EVF dioptre range. Bizarrely the X100 models have a smaller dioptre adjustment range than other Fuji models. The EVF was slightly blurred as a result when shooting without glasses. The X-E3 appears to has the range I need, so hopefully no blurry EVF. A small thing, but it did bug me when shooting with the X100T.

"Turncoat!" 👿

I've always fancied the X100 but the lens has always been known to be soft wide open, until the latest version, the X100V. However, this uses the X-Trans sensor and as much as they (and software) has improved I'm still not 100% sold.

Fuji do make great cameras though, and great lenses to go with them. I've nearly bought back into Fuji a few times.

I have a similar setup, bought the X-e2 a couple of years back and have the 27mm f2.8 and 50m f2 lenses among others and never looked back. The X-e# series is much underrated though its combo of compact size plus evf is just what I was looking for. Please update how you get on with the Viltrox, the fuji 56mm is out of my budget, but that looks like something I don't need but could afford!

Btw, my inner pendant insists I point out that there's no country called Fuji ;)

I have a similar setup, bought the X-e2 a couple of years back and have the 27mm f2.8 and 50m f2 lenses among others and never looked back. The X-e# series is much underrated though its combo of compact size plus evf is just what I was looking for. Please update how you get on with the Viltrox, the fuji 56mm is out of my budget, but that looks like something I don't need but could afford!

Btw, my inner pendant insists I point out that there's no country called Fuji ;)

Is it made of Crystal? 👿

Will do re:the 56mm.

The fuji/fiji play on words was a lame attempt at humour!

I'll get my coat...

Will do re:the 56mm.

The fuji/fiji play on words was a lame attempt at humour!

I'll get my coat...

LOL it was your "inner pendant" I was referring to..... 😁

Santa has come early and emptied his sack. Camera and 2 lenses are here...

Santa has come early and emptied his sack. Camera and 2 lenses are here...

I'm never getting that image out of my head now........ 😡

I have a soft spot for Fuji as I started with them in the early 2000's and the 1.3MP 1400z moving up to the 6x zoom 4900z bridge camera and then the S7000 bridge camera. I'd still like one now and I get tempted when I see a good deal on an X-mount body to try it for a change but I know I'd end up buying more lenses all over again.

I think the X100 series are really nice cameras and would definitely consider one if something happened to my current 35mm fixed compact particularly the very compact 35mm F2 equivalent lens.

I have a soft spot for Fuji as I started with them in the early 2000's and the 1.3MP 1400z moving up to the 6x zoom 4900z bridge camera and then the S7000 bridge camera. I'd still like one now and I get tempted when I see a good deal on an X-mount body to try it for a change but I know I'd end up buying more lenses all over again.

I think the X100 series are really nice cameras and would definitely consider one if something happened to my current 35mm fixed compact particularly the very compact 35mm F2 equivalent lens.

Park Cameras have the X-E3 at 399 :D

Viltrox 56mm f1.4 wide open

The DoF was probably around 1-2cm.

Looks good. Having read up a bit, it would definitely interest me if I didn't already have the 50mm! Was interesting to read the aperture ring is click-less on the Viltrox - how are you finding that?

Looks good. Having read up a bit, it would definitely interest me if I didn't already have the 50mm! Was interesting to read the aperture ring is click-less on the Viltrox - how are you finding that?

It is indeed clickless but stiff enough to stay set where you left it.

I have yet to test it outside in bright daylight to get the shutter speed up and check absolute sharpness wide open.

The build quality is very good. It is easy to forget that it is only 300 quid as it is metal and feels expensive. Amazing value. If I was wanting other focal lengths I would bag the other Viltrox lenses too.

Verdict up to now is that it is an easy lens to recommend. Even with only taking a few indoor shots I can tell that it knocks the stuffing out of the Sigma 50mm f1.4 on my A77ii. The Sigma would sometimes hunt and miss focus. This Viltrox has no such issues.

Fujifilm 27mm f2.8 wide open

The tiny 27mm is a great performer, WAY better close-up than the fixed 23mm f2 on the X100T.

Getting into customised film simulations too where you adjust the settings of the built-in ones. Plenty of "recipes" on the web for Fuji X-Trans cameras to try out. This one is Kodacolor from here.

Good comparison of the X-mount lenses available for ard this focal length, the Viltrox looks like great value for money there.

I like the 27mm a lot, more for its compact size than its IQ, although it is definitely very capable, but that's compared to my other lenses, not the X100, and not necessarily comparing close up.

Do you use manual lenses at all? An m43 mount lens + adapter can be great fun with the Fuji film simulations.

Good comparison of the X-mount lenses available for ard this focal length, the Viltrox looks like great value for money there.

I like the 27mm a lot, more for its compact size than its IQ, although it is definitely very capable, but that's compared to my other lenses, not the X100, and not necessarily comparing close up.

Do you use manual lenses at all? An m43 mount lens + adapter can be great fun with the Fuji film simulations.

I don't use manual lenses, yet...

I am eyeing up the XF-AF adapter to keep a couple of my Minolta lenses. My unused Minolta 100-300 APO will do as a long lens on the X-E3 as it is fairly compact and sharp enough for that task. Either my Tamron 90mm or Minolta 100mm macros are good for portrait lenses, I like the bokeh on the Tamron.

The rest of the Sony cameras and kit is off to the second-hand market.

Last edited:
Update for those bored in lock-down:

Picked up a K&F Concept Minolta/Sony A Mount to Fuji X Mount Lens Adapter KF06.159

Nice fit on the mount, clicky aperture ring. Manual AF of course, a quick test of the Minolta 100-300 APO shows it does the job and that lens has adequate sharpness stopped down for distant shots, not as good as my beloved 70-400mm G that I will be selling :(. It means that I can keep the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro which I only use in manual AF anyway and doubles as a longer portrait lens.

Also keeping my Metz 15 MS-1 macro ring flash as that works in slave flash mode (there is no TTL on the MS-1 for Fuji unfortunately). It has worked well on the Tamron 90mm that I can now use.

Currently working on adapting my HVL-58AM flash into a portable softbox, it's a powerful flash and I would like to repurpose as a manual flash rather than sell it on. I may get a Fuji compatible flash at some point for TTL like the little Nissin i40 but I am not really an on-camera flash user and the tiny Fuji EF-X8 that comes with the X-E3 will do for fill flash on those rare occasions. It is powered from the X-E3 too, so that's useful.

Ordered a no-name adapter, the Kaavie HC-113 so that I can mount the 58AM onto the Neewer FC-16 flash trigger, which of course is an ISO-518 mount not the Minolta iISO mount that I need :facepalm:

Here is what I want to achieve and something you may find useful, Bowens S-Type Speedlite Bracket with Hand Grip:

Amazon - Bowens Speedlite Bracket

616ktFc560L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Which you can mount your flash into and then add this:

Interfit Umbrella Softbox

interfit-umbrella-softbox-109cm-43-inches-p154-1127_medium.jpg

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This post undoubtedly proves Fuji owners are part of a satanist cult ! 🤣

My second digital camera (first good) was a fuji f601 ... odd design, but loved it!!

However there is no way I’m parting with my Sony a7 mark1

This post undoubtedly proves Fuji owners are part of a satanist cult ! 🤣

My second digital camera (first good) was a fuji f601 ... odd design, but loved it!!

However there is no way I’m parting with my Sony a7 mark1

I can neither confirm nor deny being part of a Satanist cult. :devil:

Update for those bored in lock-down:

Picked up a K&F Concept Minolta/Sony A Mount to Fuji X Mount Lens Adapter KF06.159

Nice fit on the mount, clicky aperture ring. Manual AF of course, a quick test of the Minolta 100-300 APO shows it does the job and that lens has adequate sharpness stopped down for distant shots, not as good as my beloved 70-400mm G that I will be selling :(. It means that I can keep the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro which I only use in manual AF anyway and doubles as a longer portrait lens.

Also keeping my Metz 15 MS-1 macro ring flash as that works in slave flash mode (there is no TTL on the MS-1 for Fuji unfortunately). It has worked well on the Tamron 90mm that I can now use.

Currently working on adapting my HVL-58AM flash into a portable softbox, it's a powerful flash and I would like to repurpose as a manual flash rather than sell it on. I may get a Fuji compatible flash at some point for TTL like the little Nissin i40 but I am not really an on-camera flash user and the tiny Fuji EF-X8 that comes with the X-E3 will do for fill flash on those rare occasions. It is powered from the X-E3 too, so that's useful.

Ordered a no-name adapter, the Kaavie HC-113 so that I can mount the 58AM onto the Neewer FC-16 flash trigger, which of course is an ISO-518 mount not the Minolta iISO mount that I need :facepalm:

Here is what I want to achieve and something you may find useful, Bowens S-Type Speedlite Bracket with Hand Grip:

Amazon - Bowens Speedlite Bracket

616ktFc560L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Which you can mount your flash into and then add this:

Interfit Umbrella Softbox

interfit-umbrella-softbox-109cm-43-inches-p154-1127_medium.jpg
You own umbrellas and they are not for rainy days outside! Enough said really! 🤣

... where did I put those Cactus triggers...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Interesting thread.
I recently went from Fuji x-t2 to Sony a7iv and tbh I miss the Fuji.

Sony is technically better, but I just found the images from the Fuji more compelling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom