from Sony HX900 to Panasonic E95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Miraage, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Miraage

Miraage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered the Sony HX900 on Dec 1st but, luckily for me, there was a problem with delivery. During that time, I thought I had better do further research 'just to make sure ' !
    At that point I came across this fantastic mine of information you have here and I have spent the last 2 weeks going through just about every thread that was relevant to me. Needless to say, after reading so much about it here I cancelled the Sony !
    ( Also, The original purchase price from a local store was £699 and for that price, I thought I would be getting an amazing Sony machine ( we have so many other Sony things that are excellent ) but I notice that now the price has come down to £480 on Amazon UK. I wonder why !!)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I decided on the Panasonic E95 as it suits my needs better, ordered it yesterday and it arrived this morning. So, thanks to everyone here for all the invaluable help that you give, especially to Rasczak who has answered so many of my questions without even knowing !!
    Anyway, that was the hard part, now the fun begins !
    I am a bit stuck with the set up.
    Our system is a Pioneer 42" plasma ( PDP435XDE ) which has a separate tuner box

Sony AV receiver with built in DVD and surround sound speakers

and Sky +

I am trying to connect the E95 using the component cables in order to make the most of the progressive scan on the TV but when I come to select the TV input to component video the selection is greyed out

I also have a scart to scart and when I remove the component cables the picture and sound are both there , can anyone tell me how to make use of the component cables?

I'm also a bit confused about having two DVD players although the Sony one came with the home cinema sound speakers etc

My other problem is how to get Sky + to 'come into' the E95 so that I can record from the Sky HD to DVD -.

Do I take a scart from the Sky + box into the E95, then another scart to take the signals from the E95 to the TV media box? I tried following the plan on the manuals, but having two DVD players is not on their plans !

I know these are probably very basic ( and a bit simple) questions, but I want to get the best out of the system now that I have spent so long in putting it all together.

Thanks so much again for all the info you share, this is a fantastic resource !
    Shirley

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Glad to be of help! Good choice of DVD recorder - the E95 is my main recorder as well ;)

You can have RGB Scart Output (on AV1) and Component out running together - either one or the other. You can use the E95 as an RGB to component converter although this means the unit will need to be on. To be honest I would suggest keeping your Sony as your DVD player and just connecting the Panasonic to the Plasma via RGB Scart. Don't worry about not using progressive scan - your plasma does it better itself.

Connect a Scart from the TV Out Scart socket on the back of Sky+ to AV2 on the Panasonic E95. Ensure Sky+ is outputting RGB (Services/System setup/Picture settings menu) and that AV1 (and AV2 if you take my advice above) on the Panasonic are set to RGB and connection type is normal (Functions/Setup/Connection).

3. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have the Sony HX1000 and I have to say it is one of the best pieces of kit that I've ever owned - I have no need for anything more in terms of editing and the PQ is absolutely superb - even on lower quality but the HQ+ setting is amazing (supposed to be better than DVD). I also love the ability to record on DVD RW to watch things our other TV/DVD's without wasting a disk each time. The menus/operation are so user-friendly and the build quality is almost of British Hi-fi standard. One last thing - its nice not to worry about the hard drive getting too full (so far anyway!) To cut a long story short I think they are both great machines and it's just down to personal taste.