From Sony A390 to ?: DSLR Buying Advice

Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry to start yet another 'which DSLR' thread but I am after a fairly bespoke advice. I have recently been very happily using a Sony A390 DSLR camera with a 18-55mm Sony lense. This camera has had an unfortunate accident and I now need a replacement :suicide:

So happy was I with the Sony A390, my first DSLR camera since upgrading from 'point and click' compacts, that I walked into Currys all intent on purchasing the current equivalent Sony model there and then. I saw the A57 and all looked well, however I notice the A57 doesn't have the auto modes on the top dial that the A390 had, e.g. Sunset, Landscape, Portrait etc etc. As a novice to digital photograhy I found these modes invaluable and they helped me no end in producing some good (IMHO!) shots. Does the A57 still have these modes somewhere?

Furthermore, having checked out a few comparisons between the A37 and A57 it seems that the former, although an 'entry' model, would probably be just as good for what I use it for, namely landscape photography rather than fast action stuff. The benefit would be compatibility of existing batteries - but before I let this minor factor influence me is there anything else of importance I have missed?

Cheers - does this also apply to the models above (A65) and below (A37) the A57? I'm not sure whether to go for the A37 and then use the savings (in both camera terms and not having to buy an extra battery) to upgrade the lense (maybe the Tamron 18-200) or go for the A57 or A65 with the same lense as I had before (18-55).

Cheers - does this also apply to the models above (A65) and below (A37) the A57? I'm not sure whether to go for the A37 and then use the savings (in both camera terms and not having to buy an extra battery) to upgrade the lense (maybe the Tamron 18-200) or go for the A57 or A65 with the same lense as I had before (18-55).

Scene modes are pretty much standard and available across the range - A37 also looks to be a nice litle camera and good value - personally I'd get the cheaper A37 and and upgrade the kit lens but try and get into a camera shop and try the different models as the LCD and EVF quality may be different and only you can decide what's acceptable or not :)

Thanks for your help - I popped into my local store and had a good look at both the A37 and A57. Went for the cheaper A37 in the end as all the benefits of the A57 seem centred around video or fast action shots; neither of which I do. I am still learning my way around DSLR photography so I think anything else would be overkill for my stage.

I'll trawl through other threads for lens recommendations.

You're welcome - looking forward to hearing how you get on with it and seeing some shots on the sharing section - still time to get an entry in for the AVF Monthly Compo. as well ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom