1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From RPTV to Projector - a newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chickster, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Chickster

Chickster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a great forum which I'm new to.
    I'm about to step up from a Toshiba RPTV to a projector. With a budget of up to £1500 I've narrowed it down to similar choices to other forum membersin no order:
    1. Panasonic AE500
    2. Hitachi TX10 or 100
    3. Screenplay 4805
    4. Sanyo Z2

Will have to demo first obviously. Anyone used any of these with the Marantz SR5400 or Yamaha RX-V520RDS amps?? Thinking of getting the KEF KHT 2005.2 speakers too, £570 from Unbeatable, an excellent price.

Has anyone bought from Unbeatable.co.uk??? Prices seem quite good and they have a price promise.

2. Chickster

Chickster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help

3. aylmera

aylmera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, i seem to be in the same boat as. After doing some searching the panasonic seems to be the most popular. However, as i know nothing about projectors i too need to see one in action. Do you know if richer sounds do demo's of this type of television?

4. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Chickster

If you are not severely susceptible to rainbow effects (most aren't), a DLP projector is a great choice. Check out the Infocus 4805 thread here for all you need to know.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414103

This projector has excellent reviews despite having a lower resolution to the LCD's due to its brightness, excellent contrast and colour balance (very film-like images). You need to demo to compare DLP pj's with LCD before you buy (my 4805 is now on order and I should get it next week).

I have the Kef KHT 2005.2 speakers for my home cinema and they sound absolutely amazing that you can't believe such rich sound can come from such small speakers. The subwoofer is superb. Hope you live in a detached house! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, particularly if you don't want your speaker system to take over the room. Mine is fed by a Denon 3803 amp which matches well as these speakers need sufficient power to drive them. The breadth of sound was the reason why I am installing a 6ft screen and projector as my 42" plasma is too small for the sound!

Although I've not bought from Unbeatable, I think it is part of Harrods so it should be very reputable.

Hope this helps.

5. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi,

I have purchased a few things from unbeatable and found their service good.

Also had to return items and had no problems

hope this helps

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

Chickster, welcome.

You might not realise but you probably didn't receive any replies initially as your post was/is pretty ambiguous.

You've listed the PJs you're interested in & are going out to demo them. Not much more to be added really IMO. It's up to you to decide which looks best/suits you.

Your other questions would be better placed in appropriate forums such as speakers etc.

Best of luck with your new system ;)

7. Chickster

Chickster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jeff D
    I've now demoed the Screenplay 4805 and the Pan Ae500. Apart from the flesh tones appearing a little washed out on the AE500 both pictures were excellent. I'm not an expert and apart from the above, I couldn't tell much difference. One thing I'm a little worried about is that it won't only be me watching the PJ. Sure I might not be affected by the rainbow effect but family and friends will also watch it too and I can't speak for them. A safer bet might be the AE500 and then I don't have to worry about other viewers.

I've also demoed the KEF 2005.2 and a Canton CD series set up although a 2 different sittings. I found both excellent but when you pushed the KEF's with higher volume they seemed a bit strained. The Canton's were excellent throughout all ranges and I'll be settling for these and probably the Yamaha DSP750 amp.

8. Chickster

Chickster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mods please close thread

Thanks