Question From PS3 to 4K, which player?

Thug

Distinguished Member
I have been using my PS3 for many years for my BD collection and been really happy with it so far.
Having bought an 55" LG OLED 4K TV (920) late last year I have thought about going 4K and wondered which of the 2 players to get.
The Samsung is £350 and the Panasonic is £600.
Is there much of a difference between the 2 and would it be a step up from using my PS3 for my older BD collection (don't have any 4K content yet of course)?
I also intend to get an Atmos set-up too, so the £250 saved by buying the Samsung will go a long way towards that, but don't want to be missing out if its inferior.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
It depends on how much you want to spend really. For native UHD video output, the Samsung and the Panasonic aren't any different for video and sound output. The Panasonic has some nice video processing functionality that might be useful but then again, it might not be. I bought the Samsung as for my use, the Panasonic didn't add anything more that I'd use.
With regards to a step up from a BD collection, no, neither will be unless they scale the video better than your TV does.

Paul

Oswald

Suspended
I have been using my PS3 for many years for my BD collection and been really happy with it so far.
Having bought an 55" LG OLED 4K TV (920) late last year I have thought about going 4K and wondered which of the 2 players to get.
The Samsung is £350 and the Panasonic is £600.
Is there much of a difference between the 2 and would it be a step up from using my PS3 for my older BD collection (don't have any 4K content yet of course)?
I also intend to get an Atmos set-up too, so the £250 saved by buying the Samsung will go a long way towards that, but don't want to be missing out if its inferior.
As you're a gamer it's worth mentioning the £250 XBOX One S, which has a built-in UHD Blu-ray drive... it doesn't support Atmos though.

P1Fanatic

Wait for the new panny which should be out next month and £399. I cant get over the cheap looks of the sammy.

Top Bottom